My CPU fan failed

Old October 18th 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Harry[_5_]

Default My CPU fan failed

I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
booting Windows.

I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
fixed that.

When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.

My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.

Still no problems.

Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?

thanks

Old October 18th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
kyi

Harry wrote:

I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
booting Windows.

I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
fixed that.

When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.

My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.

Still no problems.

Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?

thanks

Sounds fine. Was there a lot of dust build up or did the fan just die? A
good high quality fan will last longer then a cheapie. Learned that lesson
my self.

J Garrell
Old October 18th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Harry[_5_]

"kyi" wrote in message
. ..
Harry wrote:

[...]

Just a cheapie fan. It was stopped. I touched it and it began to spin.

once turning it was ok. If I stopped it by hand, it would turn again except
for one point.

there seemed to be a dead spot where it would not turn again unless moved
manually.

When I last powered off it must have landed right in that spot.

it's in the bin now

I didn't fancy the cpu letting me down in the future, thats why I tried that
cpu burn program to try and stress my chip.

It passes ok.

thanks

Old October 19th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
mr deo

As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it will
likely be okay....
You might have taken a few years life off of it .. but who cares if it's
running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?

Old October 19th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Kaptain cirk

"mr deo" wrote in message
news
As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it

will
likely be okay....
You might have taken a few years life off of it .. but who cares if it's
running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?

I run it at slightly lower voltage, but not overclocked.

It was a year or 2 ago when I set it up. I seem to remember that knocking
..05 volts off lowered the chip temp quite a bit.

Its rock solid and stable. Windoze 98 second edition and all is well

It usually sits 10-15 above ambient

system temp is usually 20 above ambient.

HP 2550L failed ? Chopah[_2_] Printers 0 April 14th 07 08:48 PM
Third C86 has now failed [email protected] Printers 15 July 27th 05 08:36 AM
AIW 128 Pro AGP TV Application Failed to Initialize the Capture device The TV Player failed to initialize the Video Tony Girgenti Ati Videocards 9 April 6th 04 05:09 AM
Failed AGP Colin Bearfield General 4 December 23rd 03 03:16 AM
Failed PC Andy McC General 2 November 24th 03 12:45 AM