Widescreen gamer looking for gaming resolution tips: how do I make things smaller?

Old September 24th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_2_]

Default Widescreen gamer looking for gaming resolution tips: how do I make things smaller?

Hi,

I have a 22 inch Samsung 225BW with a native resolution of 1680x1050.
I just bought C&C Tiberium wars. I have tried 1024x768, 1280x1024,
and 1680x1050. But, whatever resolution I choose seems to not make a
difference. I would like to see more of the map and also have the
buildings, troopers, etc get smaller.

Any ideas? Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor (I
don't have room on my desk to set up both).

WinXP
eVGA NVidia 7950GT (512MB RAM)
Latest NVida beta drivers for BioShock
2GB RAM
Yada, yada, yada

Thanks,

-pw
Old September 24th 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

PW wrote:
Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor

Yes.
Old September 24th 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

PW wrote:
Hi,

I have a 22 inch Samsung 225BW with a native resolution of 1680x1050.
I just bought C&C Tiberium wars. I have tried 1024x768, 1280x1024,
and 1680x1050. But, whatever resolution I choose seems to not make a
difference. I would like to see more of the map and also have the
buildings, troopers, etc get smaller.

Any ideas? Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor (I
don't have room on my desk to set up both).

WinXP
eVGA NVidia 7950GT (512MB RAM)
Latest NVida beta drivers for BioShock
2GB RAM
Yada, yada, yada

Thanks,

-pw

They mention running at 1920x1080 here.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/command-con.../777472p1.html

Paul
Old September 24th 07, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"PW" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 22 inch Samsung 225BW with a native resolution of 1680x1050.
I just bought C&C Tiberium wars. I have tried 1024x768, 1280x1024,
and 1680x1050. But, whatever resolution I choose seems to not make a
difference. I would like to see more of the map and also have the
buildings, troopers, etc get smaller.

Any ideas? Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor (I
don't have room on my desk to set up both).

WinXP
eVGA NVidia 7950GT (512MB RAM)
Latest NVida beta drivers for BioShock
2GB RAM
Yada, yada, yada

Thanks,

-pw

3D rendered games are not like the games of old that used fixed size sprites
and such to draw the characters/enemies/whatever. Those usually don't get
smaller or bigger nowadays, just more or less detailed when you change the
resolution. That does depend on the game too, of course, but I haven't run
into a game like that recently. Some things like UI elements may remain a
fixed pixel size, however. So when you change resolution those take up less
space on the screen instead of getting bigger and showing more information.
Like the map screen. In C&C they probably did that so players with bigger
monitors wouldn't have an advantage over ones with smaller monitors.

RF

Old September 24th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

Wouldn't be too smart.

Giving people with widescreen an adventage is a good way to stimulate people
to buy these bigger monitors.

Gameplay experience is better if more is visible on the screen.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 24th 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
gamefixer

On Sep 23, 9:57 pm, "Mr.E Solved!" wrote:
PW wrote:

Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor

Yes.

What? This is a joke right? CRT monitor?? Pull out the VCR and the 8
track player while your at it.

To the OP: check out www.widescreengamingforum.com before you go back
to a CRT. There might be some useful info there.

Matt

Old September 24th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

PW wrote:

Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor

Yes.

What? This is a joke right? CRT monitor??

Matt you have demonstrated in prior posts you know not of what you
speak, this is further proof.

Pull out the VCR and the 8
track player while your at it.

Strawman. Fail.

To the OP: check out www.widescreengamingforum.com before you go back
to a CRT. There might be some useful info there.

Matt

24" Widescreen CRT, infinitely better than any flat panel for gaming.
Old September 24th 07, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Mr.E Solved!:

24" Widescreen CRT, infinitely better than any flat panel for gaming.

Can't confirm that, and I have been using 24" Widescreen CRTs for over 9
years (until 2000 I had the Sony W900, then from 2000 to 2005 I had the
FW900). Of course reaction times are way faster than any TFT but that's
it basically. The FW900 is extremely fragile when it comes to RGB
convergence, and it's alsmost impossible to get 100% perfect convergence
over the whole screen area. Especially in the corners are divergences.
At that time it was one of the best CRTs but still it wasn't perfect,
and at that time I played most games on my SGI 1600SW Widescreen TFT
which definitely *was* perfect. I later got rid of the FW900 completely
in favour of a Dell 2005FPW. Despite it's smaller screen size gaming was
much more fun with it than with the bulky FW900.

The predecessor W900 was even worse, more like a fishglass. The W900 was
primarily made for moving content and less for static applications like
DTP, image editing, word processing or something like that. The FW900
was better, though, but still not very good for static applications.

Besides that, production of these beasts stopped around 2001 or so. I'd
not recommend anyone to waste money on a over 6 year old CRT which
probably already has several thousand operating hours on it's tube. And
at the quality of todays TFTs there hardly is any reason to waste money
on such dinosaurs.

Benjamin
Old September 24th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
gamefixer

PW wrote:

Is the best alternative going back to a CRT monitor

Yes.

What? This is a joke right? CRT monitor??

Matt you have demonstrated in prior posts you know not of what you
speak, this is further proof.

Pull out the VCR and the 8
track player while your at it.

Strawman. Fail.

To the OP: check outwww.widescreengamingforum.combefore you go back
to a CRT. There might be some useful info there.

Matt

24" Widescreen CRT, infinitely better than any flat panel for gaming.

Oh my god, please... LCD's have come so far over the last several
years. If we were talking about early 2000/2001/2002 models then I'd
agree with you but the fact is that many of the widescreen LCD's that
are produced these days are more then fast enough for games. They may
not produce 100% blacks or hit all the colors in the scale but a
widescreen LCD is a very good choice for gamers and daily computer
use. Not too mention the deskspace you get back.

I dont understand the Strawman comment...

Oh, thanks for the attack.

Matt

Old September 24th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

24" Widescreen CRT, infinitely better than any flat panel for gaming.

Oh my god, please... LCD's have come so far over the last several
years. If we were talking about early 2000/2001/2002 models then I'd
agree with you but the fact is that many of the widescreen LCD's that
are produced these days are more then fast enough for games. They may
not produce 100% blacks or hit all the colors in the scale but a
widescreen LCD is a very good choice for gamers and daily computer
use. Not too mention the deskspace you get back.

"They may not produce 100% blacks
or hit all the colors in the scale but ..."

LOL!
But they're still better than CRT?