Need help choosing video card

Old August 2nd 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Henry

Default Need help choosing video card

Who can tell me what PCIE card to buy for my system and in my budget range
between $75 - $150 !

System info Quad core 2.4ghz
3gb ram
Video card right now NVidia 7350 LE ( doesn't do anything good in this
system right now )

Let me know what to buy and why ???

Henry

Old August 2nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Henry' wrote:
| Who can tell me what PCIE card to buy for my system and in my budget range
| between $75 - $150 !
_____

A meaningful answer depends on

Why do you wish to change what you have?
What can you not do with your present card.
What operating system do you use / intend to use in the future?
Do you want DX10 capability?
Do you want superior DVD playback?
Do you play games? Which?
Do you edit video?
What monitor do you use?
Do you plan to change your system soon?
Why lay out the money for 3 GBytes of ram and a quad core, then stint on a
video card?
Do you want video out?

In the absence of such information, any suggestions are wild guesses.

You want a wild guess?

Wild guess #1. Save your money 'til you can purchase a GeForce 8800 GTX /
GS or two.

Wild guess #2. GeForce 8600 GT / GTS

Wild guess #3. Go to an etailer website, find the video card section, sort
in price order, pick one.

Phil Weldon

Old August 2nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"Henry" wrote in message
Who can tell me what PCIE card to buy for my system and in my budget range
between $75 - $150 !

System info Quad core 2.4ghz
3gb ram
Video card right now NVidia 7350 LE ( doesn't do anything good in this
system right now )

Let me know what to buy and why ???

Henry

You spend all that money on a quad core system and now want to go cheap on a
video card.

You don't say what your going to use this video card for ?

Being you want to spend only 75-150 on a video card. your not going to see
much Improvement over what you have now. Unless you like to take a chance on
eBay.

Old August 2nd 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Henry wrote:
Who can tell me what PCIE card to buy for my system and in my budget
range between $75 - $150 !

System info Quad core 2.4ghz
3gb ram
Video card right now NVidia 7350 LE ( doesn't do anything good in this
system right now )

Let me know what to buy and why ???

Henry

While it is nice to frame the question in simple dollar figures, it also
helps to know a few other things. Your amount of RAM suggests you are
interested in Vista. Maybe you want DX-10, and that makes a big difference
to the choices. In some ways, the playing field is not nearly as nice
looking at DX-10, simply because games are focusing too much on the high
end, and the cards are not nicely distributed in entry, mid-level, and
high-level like they used to be.

So, my random pick of the day is this:

Foxconn FV-N79GM2D2-HP GeForce 7950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 $229

Why Foxconn ? Well, these cards are getting harder to find. And Foxconn
still offers one. There was an Asus one, but I picked this instead.

Why did I pick a $229 card ? Because $150 isn't enough.

The 7950GT is nice, because its power dissipation is 61 watts.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...e7950gt_3.html

In this benchmark, performance is twice as good as a 7600GT.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...16 &chart=311

It is a DX-9 card, so if you are after DX-10, better talk to your
bank manager about a loan :-(

Paul
Old August 2nd 07, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:05:02 -0400, Paul wrote:

It is a DX-9 card, so if you are after DX-10, better talk to your
bank manager about a loan :-(

My 8600GT does DX10 and about fits his budget. Am happy with it,
although I have no idea how it will handle Bioshock in DX10 yet.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com