PC Cases with Two Supply

Old July 31st 07, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David Halpern

Default PC Cases with Two Supply

I am going to add to SLI Video cards eventually
it might be nice to be able to add two Power Supplies
to the case.

Anyone know of any?

Best,

Marc

Old July 31st 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"David Halpern" wrote in message
. ..
I am going to add to SLI Video cards eventually
it might be nice to be able to add two Power Supplies
to the case.

Anyone know of any?

Best,

Marc

Where do you plan on mounting it at ?

I would just buy one that is powerful enough to handle it and add a little
more to it to be on the safe side.

I've not seen a case that has a place to mount the 2nd unit, but I could be
wrong.

Old July 31st 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

David Halpern wrote:
I am going to add to SLI Video cards eventually
it might be nice to be able to add two Power Supplies
to the case.

Anyone know of any?

Best,

Marc

No, but there are external PSU's with panel connector features and the
ability to setup a slot cover with a plug. However you won't need any
of that. Outside of a Quad Opteron server setup with 2 dual GPU GTX's,
you're not going to push 1kwatt of power (the maximum single PSU available).

Actually the real amperage requirements for SLI GTX's often need only a
good quality 620W PSU with a single large 12v rail (although dual and
multi-rail PSU's are all of similar quality now). Check your amperages,
calculate out 70-80% efficiency and then determine your total system
requirements.
Old July 31st 07, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'David Halpern' wrote:
| I am going to add to SLI Video cards eventually
| it might be nice to be able to add two Power Supplies
| to the case.
|
| Anyone know of any?
_____

Server cases are set up for multiple power supplies, but generally use
smaller power supplies that you would want for high power graphics adapters.
The main reason for multiple power supplies is redundancy, not greater total
power. The total amount of power needed will depend on WHICH two SLI cards
and the makeup of the rest of the system. One adequate power supply is a
better solution than two power supplies unless you need you need the
redundancy (if one power supply fails, the other handles the load -
redundancy is usually found on systems where ANY down time has very
expensive consequences. You really should not use multiple power supplies
connected to the same motherboard. A single 700 Watt power supply should
easily handle two 8800 GT cards, a Core 2 Quad CPU, two 500 GByte hard
drives, two CD/DVD drives, 2 GByte memory, and whatever else you usually
find on a system ( everything other than the video cards and CPU in such a
system will require less than 150 Watts.)

Enlight at
http://nl.enlightcorp.com
manufactures server cases.

Phil Weldon

Old July 31st 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jason A.

CoolerMaster Stacker 810 can have dual PSUs mounted in it.
One above the motherboard, and one below, and includes an adapter to
allow both PSUs to be turned on at the same time by the power switch.
Unfortunately, the 810 seems to be out of production, and the 830
doesn't have the bottom PSU mount, nor the space to mod one in....

Might be able to find the 810 on eBay though.

Old July 31st 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rmd[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:06:32 -0700, "David Halpern"
wrote:

I am going to add to SLI Video cards eventually
it might be nice to be able to add two Power Supplies
to the case.

Anyone know of any?

I would just get a more powerful PSU that is SLI certified
so you have enough pci-x adaptors (especially if you get
2x 8800 GTX cards)

Also having only 1 PSU will reduce heat (I'd assume 2x500W
would not be as efficient at ventilating heat out as 1x 1000W)

PC Cases Geoff Homebuilt PC's 11 December 25th 06 02:01 AM
PC cases - Expensive or Ugly or both - Where did all the decent cases go? Noozer General 6 March 26th 06 05:55 AM
LEDs, cases, power supply James Homebuilt PC's 3 August 13th 05 11:00 PM
Spectacular power supply failures in In Win micro cases. Baelzar Overclocking AMD Processors 5 April 27th 04 05:51 AM
Spectacular power supply failures in In Win micro cases. Baelzar AMD Thunderbird Processors 5 April 27th 04 05:51 AM