PCI - E card

Old July 18th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mick[_4_]

Default PCI - E card

I had to swap my motherboard out - so took advantage of an Asus board
with PCI-E.
I bought an Xpert Vision GeForce7600GT video card - PCI-E version.
Once I got it in the slot, I noticed the small set of contacts on the
top edge - suggesting an additional power source?

Am I right? Anybody know what these contact are meant for? The manual
says nothing ....

Regards

Mick

Old July 18th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bob Knowlden

That's an SLI (scalable link interface) connector. It permits 2 identical
video cards to be used to produce a single image, with increased
performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

(SLI was originally from 3dfx, and it meant scan line interleaving. nVidia
acquired some of the assets of 3dfx when that company died in 2002. The
assets must have included the SLI trademark.)

HTH.

Old July 18th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mick[_4_]

--

Ah - that explains it - many thanks folks

Mick

Old July 18th 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dr. Richard Cranium

ah yes. 3Dfx, SLI voodoo2's

a little bit of history can be found he

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm

rumoured that Nvidea will be using the 3Dfx API (soon ?).

if they do bring back the 3Dfx API - I'll purchase Nvidea again.

** no fate **

dracman

Old July 18th 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

You need to attach an additional connector to the power supply in order to
run the card without burning it up from low power.

--
---------------------
DaveW

Old July 19th 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'DaveW' wrote:
| You need to attach an additional connector to the power supply in order to
| run the card without burning it up from low power.
_____

The top edge connectors are, as every other responder has noted, for SLI
operation of twin nVidia based video cards.

Low power will not burn up a video card.

Phil Weldon

Old July 19th 07, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Forsythe

Hi Dave,
I think you may be confusing video cards with refrigerators. ;-))

Old July 19th 07, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:33:50 -0700, "DaveW" wrote:

You need to attach an additional connector to the power supply in order to
run the card without burning it up from low power.

You do realize the OP is referring to a 7600GT PCI-e, not an
AGP? The PCI-e version has no power connector.
Old July 19th 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Ed Forsythe' wrote:
| Hi Dave,
| I think you may be confusing video cards with refrigerators. ;-))
_____

SLI refrigerators - now that's a concept B^)

Phil Weldon