Reasonable temps for an 8800GTS w/stock cooling?

Old July 19th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jason A.

Default Reasonable temps for an 8800GTS w/stock cooling?

Here's the scoop.

It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
turned my system on, it was reading 68C.

What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.

Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.

No overclocking.
Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
of the tower)

Thanks
Jason
Old July 19th 07, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Jason A.' wrote, in part:
| It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
| NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
| finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
| turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
_____

Well, that would depend on the temperature of the air entering the stock
cooler. If the air entering the stock cooler is ~ 25 C then the loafing
temperature (web browsing, for example), the 8800 GTS at stock GPU/memory
speed AND with the video card fan set to manual/100%, then the GPU
temperature should be in the 50 C - 55 C range.

The 68 C you see could be caused by
the video card cooling fan is set to automatic control
OR
your system case has VERY poor air circulation
OR
the room ambient temperature is VERY high ( 35 C or 100 F)
OR
the video card heatsink/fan is not properly installed
OR
the GPU temperature monitor application isn't working right
OR
some combination of the above.

I'd start by measuring the air temperature at the inlet of the video card
heatsink fan and checking the video card fan setting.

Phil Weldon

news:PKKdneyl9NkJRwPbnZ2dnUVZ_se3nZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old July 19th 07, 08:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

Could you tell me where this NVMonitor is ?
I'm trying to locate a program that will see the temp of the GPU But can't
find one. Or is it built in the software and I have to turn it on ? If so, I
can't find it. TIA...

Old July 19th 07, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Kevin Weaver" wrote in message
. net
Could you tell me where this NVMonitor is ?
I'm trying to locate a program that will see the temp of the GPU But
can't find one. Or is it built in the software and I have to turn it
on ? If so, I can't find it. TIA...

It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.

Old July 19th 07, 10:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"oldwolf" wrote in message
u...
why??

snip

It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old July 19th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
P Gagg

My 8800GTS never goes above 60 degrees C, even when overclocked.
When at idle its about 48 to 50C
When not overclocked but working (playing games, etc) it is around 58C
Overclocked at: Core clock = 600 and Memory Clock = 900 gave a max temp
of 60C and a 3DMark06 score of 10200.

There is something wrong with your 8800GTS if its running much higher
temp's.

Is the fan working?
Is the fan on auto control?
What is the room temp? fan inlet temp?
Is the case adequately cooled?
Are your CPU and case temps ok?
Is the fan working correctly? heatsink fitted ok?

8-)

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
Old July 19th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Geoff' wrote, in part:
| A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
_____

NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the

Phil Weldon

Old July 19th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net
'Geoff' wrote, in part:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text. _____

NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the

With NNTP you can never safely assume any given post has propagated to any
given server.

Old July 20th 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:01:01 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
link.net
'Geoff' wrote, in part:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text. _____

NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the

With NNTP you can never safely assume any given post has propagated to any
given server.

In any given order.