AMD's R700 codename is Wekiva, is multi-chip, has a better memory controller. my thoughts

Old July 16th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
RadeonR600

Default AMD's R700 codename is Wekiva, is multi-chip, has a better memory controller. my thoughts

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...853&Ite mid=1

R700 codename is Wekiva
Written by Fuad Abazovic

Has a new memory controller

ATI's upcoming high end card codenamed R7xx, the one that we call R700
is codenamed Wekiva. We don't know what that actually means, but
according to google this can be a town or a river in some national
park in Florida.

ATI was known by very funky codenames including R520 aka Fudo and R600
without a proper codename but properly delayed.

Wekiva from all we know has a multi chip approach and has a new better
memory controller. We can also add that it comes in Q2 2008, so we
still have some time to enjoy until it arrives.

R700 had better be an incredible GPU. even if it's a refresh of the
the R600, it better be damn good because Nvidia's G80, released
months before R600, is a better-performing GPU than R600 at least with
the current drivers & gamesm. The G80 is about to be refreshed with
G92, a GPU that is said to have 3x the fp performance of G80. even
more troubling, G92 is due out late 2007. Nvidia has been hitting
release dates very well the last few years. R700 isn't due out until
Q2 2008 unless AMD can make a breakthrough by releasing it Q4 2007, a
miracle I don't see happening.

I don't want to see Nvidia win the war, but right now they're winning
in just about everything except the console arena where neither Nvidia
nor AMD/ATI actually have control of, but they both have their GPUs in
all consoles. right now AMD/ATI have two horses in the console race,
Xbox 360 and Wii. Nvidia only has one horse. thankfully Nvidia's
horse in that race, the PS3, is in last place and struggling. while
Xbox 360 and Wii, are doing very well collectively worldwide. Xbox 360
is doing well in the U.S, the Wii is doing well worldwide.

I'm hoping Wii's and Xbox 360's combined success helps AMD get back
into the highend GPU fight on the PC side.

Old July 17th 07, 11:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Mr. Johan Andersson

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, RadeonR600 wrote:

[...]

I dont understand, there is no need for a war between them, you dont have
to annihilate all contenders to be a winner, in fact, whats a 1st place if
there are no runner ups.

it is GOOD that we have several companies competing, I am sure they will
get back into the top PC slots, to be pushed out again by Nvidia or others
that we havent seen yet.

But maybe I misunderstood the whole post?

This group might be an exception, but normal users (consumers) rarely have
the latest stuff anyway, its far to expensive for them, and me.

/Johan A
Old July 18th 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Mark

Mr. Johan Andersson wrote:

[...]

Yep, you misunderstood the whole post. Maybe try reading it again.

Old July 19th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Brandon J. Van Every

On Jul 16, 4:33 pm, RadeonR600 wrote:

I don't want to see Nvidia win the war,

What's your personal stake? You make money off ATI/AMD products
somehow? You used to work for them? NVIDIA burn you once upon a
time?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Old July 19th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Mr.E Solved!

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
On Jul 16, 4:33 pm, RadeonR600 wrote:
I don't want to see Nvidia win the war,

What's your personal stake? You make money off ATI/AMD products
somehow? You used to work for them? NVIDIA burn you once upon a
time?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

When the amateur armchair analyst gets it in his head to circulate these
posts I used to wonder why anyone would bother with such superficial and
pedestrian analysis which seems to exist solely to bore us to tears.

I guess it is the equivalent of the back chatter you get in fantasy
sports leagues circles by the fat slobs who can't get it up enough to
get out on the field: these are the dirt poor, but aspirationally rich
geekazoids.

Same thing goes for the occasional "in-depth" analysis of new consoles,
new GPU's, never anything more than regurgitated web site dreck from the
same frustrated wannabes. Piffle.
Old July 30th 07, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Ed Forsythe[_2_]

It didn't bore me to tears because it offered information I was not aware of
and I appreciate it. I can't understand your need for worthless, time
consuming, unwarranted criticism, but I don't have as much time on my hands
as you. ;-) While you are thinking of something scathing to say, consider
the fact that I won't reply - I'm out -

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..