Just got a 8800GTS

Old July 13th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
\Work\ or \Microsoft News Server\

Default Just got a 8800GTS

Hey all, my system:

AMD Fx2 6000
8800GTS 620MB
SB Audigy 2
Nforce 2 MB
2 GB RAM

Suffice to say that I run new games such as Stalker very well but I seem to
be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs terribly and It
stutters and pauses every second! I can;t figure out why this is so I
thought I'd ask here. Also, Painkiller no longer gives the best performance
but gives little pauses here and there. I have tried updated drivers but
have had no luck...

This is very strange but I don't know what's going on!

Old July 14th 07, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!

My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...64965&lngWId=1

rms

Old July 14th 07, 05:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:06:06 GMT, "\"Work\" or \"Microsoft News
Server\"" menolikesp@m.**** wrote:

Hey all, my system:

Couple of things.

AMD Fx2 6000

The Athlon 64 X 2 6000 is not an FX

8800GTS 620MB

You may want to experiment with the drivers for the 8800 GTS 640. On
my 6000 and also my FX62 they seem to work better with the older
6.14.10.9792 drivers from back in December than the latest ones.

SB Audigy 2
Nforce 2 MB
2 GB RAM

Suffice to say that I run new games such as Stalker very well but I seem to
be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs terribly and It
stutters and pauses every second! I can;t figure out why this is so I
thought I'd ask here. Also, Painkiller no longer gives the best performance
but gives little pauses here and there. I have tried updated drivers but
have had no luck...

This is very strange but I don't know what's going on!

As has already been mentioned, make sure you have the two dual core
helper apps from the AMD site.

You didn't say wheter you are using XP or Vista.
When DX-10 becomes available I *may* update one of the machines to
Vista but so far updating only for DX-10 capability when it becomes
available doesn't seem worth the effort or cost.

Old July 14th 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
\Work\ or \Microsoft News Server\

"rms" wrote in message
et...
I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!

My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the
latest cpu driver from www.amd.com

Thanks for this, it worked! Believe it or not I had no idea that you could
even update the drivers for the CPU, so I concentrated on everything else
but that...

Old July 14th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Corvus

Server\"" menolikesp@m.**** wrote:

[...]

Here are the symptoms described i got with an AGP 6800gt, Vista x64 and
Memory Hoisting activated.
Called "Memory Hole" in my BIOS.
All DirectX stuff, 2D also, would run at seemingly 1FPS, with the exception
of the Aero desktop and Oblivion.
This mess ceased when upgrading to a 8800gts, though(My mobo has AGP and
PCIe).
I would search for this BIOS option, which can have many names...

Old July 16th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

In article ,
rms wrote:
I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!

My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...64965&lngWId=1

Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get a few
links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

(Reason: I'm noticing the same with an Intel Core2Duo system, WinXP,
GeForce 7800GT).

Regards,

Patrick.

Old July 16th 07, 03:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote
in message

[...]

Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get
a few links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3, which was
subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release. However, since
the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released Hotfix 896256 v4. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.

Old July 17th 07, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:01:11 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
wrote:

In article ,
rms wrote:
I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!

My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...64965&lngWId=1

Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get a few
links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

(Reason: I'm noticing the same with an Intel Core2Duo system, WinXP,
GeForce 7800GT).

There is a patch/fix for dual core optimization in XP.

Regards,

Patrick.

Old July 17th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

In article ,
DRS wrote:
"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote
in message

[...]

Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get
a few links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3, which was
subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release. However, since
the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released Hotfix 896256 v4. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.

Thanks for that. I see this article gives the option to download an
update, but it also goes on about modifying the registry...

Since the system in question is not mine, but is one I put together for my
brother (who lives quite a bit away from me, and also isn't that much of a
computer expert, and certainly not someone who I would like to muck around
in the registry : is that part of the fix (also) necessary?

If it's only installing the hotfix which does the trick, that'd be cool.

Regards,

Patrick.