Problem Playing Videos on Windows XP with Leadtek Graphics Card

Old July 9th 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

Default Problem Playing Videos on Windows XP with Leadtek Graphics Card

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my PC at the moment. I
can't seem to play any videos, no matter what format they are! (MPEG,
WMV, AVI, DIVX, DVD, etc...)

Here are a few details about my setup:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT graphics card (I think it has 128MB on board)
Creative Audigy Platinum soundcard

When I try and play videos, either the application crashes (as in the
case of Windows Media Player) or the application freezes and takes up
100% of my processor. In the later case, I have to painstakingly use
Task Manager to end the bad process. Painstaking because the naughty
video application only allows other Windows processes small chunks of
processor time.

Could this be a codex problem? Does any one have any suggestions!?

Thanks,

Steve.

P.S. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. Please suggest a
more suitable alternative!

Old July 10th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

P.S. I've already tried reinstalling drivers (graphics card and AGP)
and that didn't do the trick. I've also tried running videos with a
lower screen refresh rate.

This is getting very frustrating now! Perhaps someone can suggestion a
diagnostic tool so that I can at least pin down the rough cause of the
problem. At the moment, it could be hardware (graphics card,
motherboard, ...) or software (Windows XP, drivers, Codex, ...). I
don't know where to begin.

Old July 10th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

On 9 Jul, 20:02, Steve wrote:
[...]

Did the videos ever work? what changed from the time they worked to the
time they did not?

I'd reinstall codecs (not codex, which is a learned tome, not a set of
instructions on how to interpret binary data into streaming audio/video)
and see what happens.

Any program that handles music, mpgs, might muss up your settings.
Old July 10th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

Thanks for your help!

Ah, OK, I'll try reinstalling the codecs. (Apologies for my smelling
mistake!)

Which codecs would you advise though, and what is the best way to
install them? I currently have the Nimo Codec Pack installed. Is this
a good one to go with, or can you suggest another? If you think it's
OK, I'll just reinstall them.

Thanks again,

Steve.

On 9 Jul, 20:02, Steve wrote:
[...]

Any program that handles music, mpgs, might muss up your settings.- Hide quoted text -

Old July 10th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

P.S. Videos have worked in the past if I recell, although I don't know
what has changed in the meantime. I'm a software developer and a lot
has been installed lately!

Old July 11th 07, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Steve wrote:
P.S. Videos have worked in the past if I recell, although I don't know
what has changed in the meantime. I'm a software developer and a lot
has been installed lately!

I use the K-lite codec pack, an all in one solution which includes
versatile players such as media player classic.

If you are installing/uninstalling programs as often as you state,
system restore points are critical to being able to keep known good
positions, to prevents situations just like this!

That said, this is just troubleshooting there is no assurance this is
where your trouble lies.

Run DirectX diagnostics, see if directdraw, directshow and other basic
interfaces are functioning.
Old July 14th 07, 09:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

Thanks for your continued help!

I use the K-lite codec pack, an all in one solution which includes
versatile players such as media player classic.

OK, I installed K-Lite. It seems very good, although sadly has not
solved my video problems.

If you are installing/uninstalling programs as often as you state,
system restore points are critical to being able to keep known good
positions, to prevents situations just like this!

True, although easy to say in hindsight. I *never* usually have PC
problems, certainly ones I can't fix myself. This is a first for me.
I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows to sort this, so any ideas as
to how to get it working would be much appreciated.

Run DirectX diagnostics, see if directdraw, directshow and other basic
interfaces are functioning.

Yep, I ran dxdiag (or whatever it's called) and no errors were
reported. All tests passed too.

Back to square one! Any ideas as to how to proceed?!

Thanks very much!

Steve.