huge heatsink in MSI GeForce 7600GT

Old July 1st 07, 09:45 AM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
carrera d'olbani

Default huge heatsink in MSI GeForce 7600GT

This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

Translation into English:
http://translate.google.com/translat... Den%26sa%3DG

Old July 1st 07, 12:21 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SteveH[_2_]

carrera d'olbani wrote:
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

Translation into English:
http://translate.google.com/translat... Den%26sa%3DG

That's bonkers! How many slots do you have left after installing that?

SteveH

Old July 1st 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Yes Baby

"carrera d'olbani" wrote in message
ps.com...
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

Translation into English:
http://translate.google.com/translat... Den%26sa%3DG

note its DVI + VGA out..........my XFX 7600GT has 2 x DVI

perhaps this is an MSI trait.

Old July 1st 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

carrera d'olbani wrote:
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

What kind of temps do you get while gaming ?

Paul
Old July 1st 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
carrera d'olbani

On Jul 1, 11:13 pm, Paul wrote:
carrera d'olbani wrote:
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

What kind of temps do you get while gaming ?

I do not know. The heatsink is barely warm when I am playing HL2 at
maximum of the settings and with the resolution like 1200 x1024.

Old July 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.

MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html

Old July 1st 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BigJim

I could cool my house with that heatsink, have a 7600gt in my system and
mine is just
a flat one. The temp is about 56 C at idle and 62 C gamming.

Old July 2nd 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
carrera d'olbani

On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" wrote:
The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.

MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html

That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
explain.

http://translate.google.com/translat...http://www.mic...

Old July 2nd 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

carrera d'olbani wrote:
[...]

I think the guy who designed that thing, has never seen a heatsink
before :-)

Conceptually, the thing is pretty bad. The cooling fins, only fill
half the air channel. The air channel should have been shaped, to
force all the air to flow through the fin area. What will happen
with the design as it now stands, is most of the air from the
fan, passes through the open area above the fins. It means probably
more than half the airflow from the fan, isn't doing anything when
it moves through the tube.

Maybe someone will put this in a textbook, as an example of what
not to do :-)

Paul
Old July 2nd 07, 10:03 AM posted to alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sleepy

"carrera d'olbani" wrote in message
ps.com...
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/...e.php?UID=1273

Translation into English:
http://translate.google.com/translat... Den%26sa%3DG

look on the plus side - you have a graphics card and hair drier all-in-one.