7600GS temperature

Old June 22nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve Luttrell

Default 7600GS temperature

I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around 100
F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up to its
slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a problem
with the card?

I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make sure
they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Old June 22nd 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.

The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.

Old June 22nd 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve Luttrell

Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).

My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
with only light use. Is this normal?

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Old June 22nd 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cal Vanize

Steve Luttrell wrote:
Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).

My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
with only light use. Is this normal?

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

"First of One" wrote in message
100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.

The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.

"Steve Luttrell" wrote in message
I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up
to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
problem with the card?

I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Mine is running 40C with some light load (HTPC). Have you considered
getting a little better case ventilation? Maybe cleaning the dust off
the heat sinks and making sure there's good airflow around the card?

Old June 22nd 07, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve Luttrell

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message
Steve Luttrell wrote:
[...]

Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.

If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Old June 23rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
| Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
| small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
|
| If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
_____

Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan is not
working correctly.

Let's start with some clarification:

What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?

What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you have?

What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?

Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?

Phil Weldon

"Steve Luttrell" wrote in message

| "Cal Vanize" wrote in message
| Steve Luttrell wrote:
| Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).
|
| My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of
120C
| with only light use. Is this normal?
|
| Steve Luttrell
| West Malvern, UK
|
| "First of One" wrote in message
| 100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.
|
| The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.
|
| --
| "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
| It can therefore be said that politics is war without
| bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
|

| "Steve Luttrell" wrote in
message

Old June 23rd 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BigJim

I am running a 7600gt and the idle temp is 48c so there is something wrong
with either you card cooler or
the temp reading software. My room temp is about 74 F.
It could also be a faulty temp sensor, very rare or the heatsink is loose.

Old June 23rd 07, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve Luttrell

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
. net...
'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
| Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made
| small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
|
| If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
_____

Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan is
not
working correctly.

Let's start with some clarification:

What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?

What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you have?

What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?

Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?

Phil Weldon

GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
Ambient room temperature 23C.
Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD Athlon
XP 2800+.
Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
control panel software.
GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There is
no obstruction to this airflow.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Old June 23rd 07, 10:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve Luttrell

It is beginning to look as if there is something faulty with the GPU card,
so armed with all this information I will contact PCWorld (where I bought
the card) to check what they say.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

. ..

Old June 23rd 07, 10:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Steve Luttrell' wrote:
| GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
| Ambient room temperature 23C.
| Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD Athlon
| XP 2800+.
| Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
| control panel software.
| GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There
is
| no obstruction to this airflow.
_____

Something is faulty. Consider requesting a replacement from the vendor.
Again do you get any temperatures from the BIOS?
It does seem that your CPU temperatures are high; is the 69 to71 C CPU
temperature reported under load, under 100% load, idle?
Have you measured the temperature of the air entering the GPU heatsink?

Phil Weldon

"Steve Luttrell" wrote in message

| "Phil Weldon" wrote in message
| . net...
| 'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
| | Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| | difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow
made
| | small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
| |