Need suggestions: buying a replacement FAN for my MSI NX6600GT

Old June 15th 07, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Need suggestions: buying a replacement FAN for my MSI NX6600GT

Well, my card has now gone through 2 fans, the last one in only a
year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what fan to buy to replace
it? It's under warranty but they are out, and the only option they're
giving me is to pay them $45 for a new card.... which will probably
have the fan die in a year. Lovely.

(yes, I understand it's an old card. I'd rather not buy a heatsink,
or a new card, if I can just get away with replacing the fan. I'm on
a budget these days - I'm now a proud father. Thank you.)

I've measured the fan and the hole - both are about 55 mm across,
while the 3 holes in the base are each about 3mm from the edge of the
fan. I went looking at sites (buyextras, newegg, frozencpu), but
can't seem to find a matching fan.

Here's what the card looks like.
http://www.pctuning.cz/ilustrace2/pe...TAGP_front.jpg

Here's what some somewhat-matching fans look like. This one's 50, not
55, and I worry that it won't move enough air through.
http://www.buyextras.com/ev50dc12vbuf1.html
a fan that I don't think will fit, due to the housing, but should be
about the right size.

Ideally, I'm looking for someone who carries a fan that will fit in
there and last more than a year.

This is the AGP version, not the PCI version, if that makes a
difference.
Thanks in advance!

Old June 15th 07, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

What's wrong with your fans ?

Try oiling them

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 15th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
[...]

This shows a VF700 fitted to a 6600 AGP. One of the issues caused by bridged
designs (the bridge being underneath the small heat sink), is the GPU is
pushed further up the card. The replacement cooler then ends up being
taller than the card. As long as there is room in the computer case
for it, there is a chance a VF-700 could be used. This archived article
has pictures of what that cooler looks like fitted.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502160...ws.html?113668

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool...600GT_eng.html
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=150&code=013

RAM sinks are included with the product, but I don't know if they are
really required or not. If there is airflow from the fan, that could
be enough. There are several different models of VF-700 here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...vf-700&x=0&y=0

Looking at the design of the original cooler, it looks like the fan draws air
in, and pushed it through channels formed between the heatsink body,
and a top sheet metal cover. If the sheet metal cover was removed,
and an 80mm case cooling fan was placed in close proximity, you
might use that as a substitute. I keep an 80mm fan, mounted on an
aluminum arm, with the arm bolted to an adjacent PCI slot cover,
to supplement the cooling on my video card. Maybe if you had an 80
blowing right at the heatsink base and fins, that would be enough.
But to establish performance, you'd need some GPU temp measurements
from when the card was working, to determine whether the new solution
is enough or not.

Paul
Old June 15th 07, 07:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rev. G.G. Willikers

http://www.xpcgear.com/vgasavcnv6r2.html
Old June 15th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Thanks for the ideas, guys.... but what I'm looking for is the fan
specifically. I'm happy enough with the heatsink. Where can I find a
good 55mm fan that will fit in there?
Thanks.

Old June 16th 07, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Replacement OEM fans of that size are hard to find (partly because they
perform poorly and move very little air). Better to just remove the fan,
remove the heat sink shroud, and zip-tie an 80mm case fan to the heat sink.

ups.com...