amd sempron cpu: break down easily?

Old May 25th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
tg

Default amd sempron cpu: break down easily?

I'm trying to repair an Iqon computer (bought from Tesco's) that will
not boot, motherboard is an MS-6741. There's no image on the monitor
and I've been through loads of testing and swapping components and I
even bought a new duplicate motherboard (MS-6741) but this machine
still won't produce an image on a monitor. Only thing left to swap and
test now is the cpu, an AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754. Are these
processors prone to breakdown? My experience is that cpu's rarely
break down, which is why I first changed the motherboard. Has anyone
else had one of these cpu's go down? (I notice they're cheap to buy,
is this because they're cheap and nasty?)
Thanks for any pointers.

Old May 25th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
Wes Newell

On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:

I'm trying to repair an Iqon computer (bought from Tesco's) that will
not boot, motherboard is an MS-6741. There's no image on the monitor
and I've been through loads of testing and swapping components and I
even bought a new duplicate motherboard (MS-6741) but this machine
still won't produce an image on a monitor. Only thing left to swap and
test now is the cpu, an AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754. Are these
processors prone to breakdown? My experience is that cpu's rarely
break down, which is why I first changed the motherboard. Has anyone
else had one of these cpu's go down? (I notice they're cheap to buy,
is this because they're cheap and nasty?)
Thanks for any pointers.

No, cpu's don't fail often under normal use. However, if you are going to
replace it, use this Athlon 64 3200+ (512K L2 cache @ 2.2GHz) for $36
instead.

If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the problem, as
could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's hard to
tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.

Old May 26th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
tg

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:

If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the
problem, as
could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's
hard to
tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.

no beeps at all, no image on the monitor. Monitor works fine on
another PC. Video is onboard, not from a card. I've tried a working
AGP card as well as some working PCI graphics cards, still no image on
the monitor. Lights on the front of the tower come on and all the fans
spin but no image on the monitor. Tested with a new PSU, no
difference. I've tested the memory, it's fine. I suppose it's gotta be
the processor...

Old May 26th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
Marcus Houlden

On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:28:18 +0100, tg
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:

If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the
problem, as
could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's
hard to
tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.

no beeps at all, no image on the monitor. Monitor works fine on
another PC. Video is onboard, not from a card. I've tried a working
AGP card as well as some working PCI graphics cards, still no image on
the monitor. Lights on the front of the tower come on and all the fans
spin but no image on the monitor. Tested with a new PSU, no
difference. I've tested the memory, it's fine. I suppose it's gotta be
the processor...

Or the motherboard or the CMOS battery. A new battery costs about £2 from
somewhere like Maplin or Currys (CR2032 size) so it's worth trying that
first.

FWIW, the AMD Sempron I'm using in a server here has been working pretty
much constantly since October 2005 with no major problems apart from one
night when an old HD died (but it was 8 years old).

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old May 26th 07, 09:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
Ed Light

"Marcus Houlden" wrote

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Does that actually keep the spam away?

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old May 26th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
tg

"Marcus Houlden" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:28:18 +0100, tg
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Or the motherboard or the CMOS battery. A new battery costs about £2
from
somewhere like Maplin or Currys (CR2032 size) so it's worth trying
that
first.

as mentioned in my op I've already tried a new duplicate motherboard
and the battery was fine too.

Old May 26th 07, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,uk.comp.misc
Marcus Houlden

On Sat, 26 May 2007 01:12:59 -0700, Ed Light
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

"Marcus Houlden" wrote

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Does that actually keep the spam away?

Sometimes. Most of the spam I get *isn't* sent to mh-spam, but I've got lots
of filtering so it's difficult to say which addresses *do* get spammed the
most.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk