Upgrade from GeForce FX 5200 to?

Old April 27th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kantons

Default Upgrade from GeForce FX 5200 to?

My current system, a Sony Vaio RA710G desktop came with a GeForce FX 5200
AGP 8x 128MB video card. I'm using a Sony SDM-HS95P monitor.

This PC is only used for finances/spreadsheets, internet/email, PhotoShop,
misc home apps - i.e. no gaming. I've never been happy with the quality of
the picture. Text looks fuzzy and there always seems to be jagged edges
around graphics and text (clear-type is on). Some graphics seem to delay in
"painting" onto the screen.

I plugged in a Samsung monitor once and the graphics/text seemed a lot
better....

I would like to switch to a Samsung 20" 206BW widescreen but this card does
not support the native resolution of that monitor.

1. can someone suggest a good/inexpensive upgrade option to support
widescreen resolution 1680 x 1050; I would like to stay with nVidia
2. do you think the card is the issue with the text/graphics, the monitor,
or probably both?

Old April 27th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
don't look[_2_]

I was going to reccomend Matrox for excellent business graphics,but it's
been awhile and I see the largest memory on their 550's and 650 is 64MB. I
don't know if that is enough for you?

Old April 28th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Nicole & Tom Guymer

kantons wrote:
[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000736-2, 04/26/2007
Tested on: 4/28/2007 12:38:15 PM

7600 GS AGP from Gigabyte. Silent, fast, reliable, CHEAP

regards,

Tom

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000736-2, 04/26/2007
Tested on: 4/28/2007 12:38:55 PM

Old April 28th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"kantons" wrote in message
My current system, a Sony Vaio RA710G desktop came with a GeForce FX 5200
AGP 8x 128MB video card. I'm using a Sony SDM-HS95P monitor.

This PC is only used for finances/spreadsheets, internet/email, PhotoShop,
misc home apps - i.e. no gaming. I've never been happy with the quality of
the picture. Text looks fuzzy and there always seems to be jagged edges
around graphics and text (clear-type is on). Some graphics seem to delay
in "painting" onto the screen.

You don't happen to be using the VGA port, right? The fuzzy text should not
be there, regardless of the "quality" of the video card, if you are running
at the HS95P's native res (1280x1024) over a DVI connection.

I plugged in a Samsung monitor once and the graphics/text seemed a lot
better....

Did you use the same cable, or another cable supplied with the Samsung?

I would like to switch to a Samsung 20" 206BW widescreen but this card
does not support the native resolution of that monitor.

1. can someone suggest a good/inexpensive upgrade option to support
widescreen resolution 1680 x 1050; I would like to stay with nVidia

Your current card can do it. The widescreen resolution won't appear in
Display Properties until you plug in the new monitor and [sometimes] install
the proper INF file.

2. do you think the card is the issue with the text/graphics, the monitor,
or probably both?

I think it's the connection.

Old April 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
kantons

I am using the HS95P's native res (1280x1024) over a DVI connection;
however, you asked something about the same cable? I think the DVI cable I'm
using is NOT the one that came with the monitor. Also, so the current card
CAN display 1680 x 1050? That's great, then I really don't need to get a new
card.

Old May 4th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gil

Upgrade from Geforce FX5200 to anything. It will be a major
improvement.