Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200 card running on a Dell 8300 with a Dell E172FP monitor

Old April 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ray Kinserlow

Default Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200 card running on a Dell 8300 with a Dell E172FP monitor

My cousin has a Dell 8300 with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card and
a Dell E172FP monitor. We purchased and downloaded Norton 2007 and
tried to install it. It kept saying the subscription had expired.
After several effort to install the software, we finally called
symantec and wound up paying $60 to have our machine diagnosed. We
had to give control of the machine to the technician who did several
things I could not follow. Anyhow, after a while he declared the
machine clean of malware. Since then we have had trouble with the
video. At first, when Windows would try to load and we would get the
blue screen saying windows had crashed due to an infinite loop in
nv4_disp. I have installed the latest drivers and upgraded the BIOS
twice to no avail. Since then the machine just crashes and the
monitor loses signal and it just sits there. Is this caused by
malware or something else. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ray Kinserlow

---------
Ray W. Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
webpage: www.kinserlow.com
blog http://blog.360.yahoo.com/kinserlow
---------

Old April 21st 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Ray Kinserlow" me@nospam wrote in message
[...]

"Since then" meaning immediately after the tech did the remote diagnosis?
Was the machine able to boot even once with functioning video after this
event? ( I think you made a bad judgement call in paying some Symantec tech
$60 to correct a faulty NAV install and allowing remote admin access to your
box, but that's another issue).

Old April 22nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ray Kinserlow

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:15:39 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

"Ray Kinserlow" me@nospam wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, Monday they're going to have to rediagnose the machine. Is
there anything I could do before I do before that to correct the
situation? It will load windows in the VGA mode, so I suspect a
driver issue. As far as trusting a symantec tech, I had pretty much
run out of things to try and it was either spend $60 more or forget
the $ we paid for the software. And thankfully it's not my box.

Regards,
Ray

---------

Old April 22nd 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Well, Monday they're going to have to rediagnose the machine. Is
there anything I could do before I do before that to correct the
situation? It will load windows in the VGA mode, so I suspect a
driver issue. As far as trusting a symantec tech, I had pretty much
run out of things to try and it was either spend $60 more or forget
the $ we paid for the software. And thankfully it's not my box.

Tried a system restore to a date prior to the install? Or to the "help" from
Symantec? Or a driver rollback?