8800GTS 320MB power requirements

Old April 16th 07, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil[_5_]

Default 8800GTS 320MB power requirements

I am about to buy a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card. It says minimum
requirements for the card is 400W and 12V rated at 26A. My power
supply is 400 watts but only rated for 12V at 18A. You think I could
pull that off or should I buy a new PSU?

Old April 16th 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com
I am about to buy a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card. It says minimum
requirements for the card is 400W and 12V rated at 26A. My power
supply is 400 watts but only rated for 12V at 18A. You think I could
pull that off or should I buy a new PSU?

It depends. If your PSU only has a single 18A rail then you'll probably not
get away with it (the 8800GTS will draw peak about 11A, the CPU around 10A,
a HD 1A, etc). If you have at least 2 12v rails of 18A nominal capacity you
should be ok if you run the card off one and the system off the other.

Old April 16th 07, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Slap

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to buy a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card. It says minimum
requirements for the card is 400W and 12V rated at 26A. My power
supply is 400 watts but only rated for 12V at 18A. You think I could
pull that off or should I buy a new PSU?

Yes. You don't want to mistreat that card. A power supply I'm going to get
is here...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...ower_index.asp

I'm looking at the ones with the Cable management Technology. 750 watt
although the 850 watt is stocked locally for me. W0116RU and W0131RU. I
would get a 650 watt minimum... you might add something else later -you
never know.

Old April 16th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Slap" wrote in message
"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to buy a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card. It says minimum
requirements for the card is 400W and 12V rated at 26A. My power
supply is 400 watts but only rated for 12V at 18A. You think I could
pull that off or should I buy a new PSU?

Yes. You don't want to mistreat that card. A power supply I'm going
to get is here...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...ower_index.asp

I'm looking at the ones with the Cable management Technology. 750
watt although the 850 watt is stocked locally for me. W0116RU and
W0131RU. I would get a 650 watt minimum... you might add something
else later -you never know.

A 650W would drive SLI watercooled 8800GTX and have room to spare. It's
complete overkill for a single 8800GTS 320.

Old April 16th 07, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

The manufacturer always lists the MINIMUM requirements for the use of their
products. Since you do NOT meet these minimum requirements, I think you get
the general idea.

--

DaveW

___________
oups.com...

Old April 17th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Phil wrote:
How do I know if im running off the one rail as opposed to the other?

On Apr 16, 4:24 am, "DRS" wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message

oups.com

I am about to buy a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card. It says minimum
requirements for the card is 400W and 12V rated at 26A. My power
supply is 400 watts but only rated for 12V at 18A. You think I could
pull that off or should I buy a new PSU?

It depends. If your PSU only has a single 18A rail then you'll probably not
get away with it (the 8800GTS will draw peak about 11A, the CPU around 10A,
a HD 1A, etc). If you have at least 2 12v rails of 18A nominal capacity you
should be ok if you run the card off one and the system off the other.

On dual rail PSU's, 12V1 is for the CPU/MOBO only, the rest of the
system goes off the 12V2. But I think most modern PSU's have only
"virtual" rails and it's effectively just a way to get around the 20A
max per rail required by a 240V system.

I'm running a 500W w/ 2 x 18A rails and it runs my 8800GTS fine. I've
also got 3 HD's, 2 DVD/RW's, and 2 other PCI cards on an A64 system.
36A more than meets the 29A spec, but I wouldn't chance it with a 400w @
26A, since you have to calculate 80% efficiency with headroom (you don't
get max voltage all the time).

Old April 17th 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

Just shut up already!

Old April 17th 07, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'DaveW' wrote:
| The manufacturer always lists the MINIMUM requirements for the use of
their
| products. Since you do NOT meet these minimum requirements, I think you
get
| the general idea.
_____

As if the 'minimum' manufacturer recommendations had integrity. How about
the 'minimum' system recommendations for games? Just as the game 'minimum'
recommendation is self-serving, so is the 'minimum' power supply
recommendation. You are free to hold whatever illusions you wish, just
don't urge others to share.

Phil Weldon

Old April 17th 07, 10:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

_____

As if the 'minimum' manufacturer recommendations had integrity. How about
the 'minimum' system recommendations for games? Just as the game 'minimum'
recommendation is self-serving, so is the 'minimum' power supply
recommendation. You are free to hold whatever illusions you wish, just
don't urge others to share.

Phil Weldon

oh, that's helpful