64x2 6000

Old April 7th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
tony pac

Default 64x2 6000

I have Dell E521 which has a AMD 64x 2 5000 ,would that be able to use AMD
64x 2 6000,I know mobo has socket AM2,and would that be a significant
performance gain? Thanks

Old April 8th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:37 -0500, tony pac wrote:

I have Dell E521 which has a AMD 64x 2 5000 ,would that be able to use AMD
64x 2 6000,I know mobo has socket AM2,and would that be a significant
performance gain? Thanks

Only about a 15% CPU performance gain from 2.6Ghz to 3.0GHz. You can
probably get about the same by overclocking the CPU you have now. Setting
your FSB to 233 would give you 3.03GHZ with your current CPU.

Old April 8th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 04:55:45 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:37 -0500, tony pac wrote:

I have Dell E521 which has a AMD 64x 2 5000 ,would that be able to use
AMD 64x 2 6000,I know mobo has socket AM2,and would that be a
significant performance gain? Thanks

Only about a 15% CPU performance gain from 2.6Ghz to 3.0GHz. You can
probably get about the same by overclocking the CPU you have now.
Setting your FSB to 233 would give you 3.03GHZ with your current CPU.

It's a Dell, I'm pretty sure they don't have any overclocking capability.
Replacing the X2 5000 with an X2 6000 is probably doable, I'd check the
Dell Website to see if they offer the X2 6000 in that model, if they do
then you know that the board can handle it. However I wouldn't bother,
15% isn't enough of a difference to be worth doing anything.

How much RAM do you have?, if you have less than 2G you'll want to add
more. If you have 2G or more then you won't see any difference unless you
use some particularly memory hungry applications.
Old April 8th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
dave

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 04:55:45 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:37 -0500, tony pac wrote:

I have Dell E521 which has a AMD 64x 2 5000 ,would that be able to use
AMD 64x 2 6000,I know mobo has socket AM2,and would that be a
significant performance gain? Thanks

Only about a 15% CPU performance gain from 2.6Ghz to 3.0GHz. You can
probably get about the same by overclocking the CPU you have now.
Setting your FSB to 233 would give you 3.03GHZ with your current CPU.

I currently am using a 3500+ AM2 X1. What kind of increase would I get
upgrading to a 4000 X2?

Thanks.
Dave Feustel
Old April 8th 07, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 07:00:20 -0500, dave wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 04:55:45 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:37 -0500, tony pac wrote:

I have Dell E521 which has a AMD 64x 2 5000 ,would that be able to
use AMD 64x 2 6000,I know mobo has socket AM2,and would that be a
significant performance gain? Thanks

Only about a 15% CPU performance gain from 2.6Ghz to 3.0GHz. You can
probably get about the same by overclocking the CPU you have now.
Setting your FSB to 233 would give you 3.03GHZ with your current CPU.

I currently am using a 3500+ AM2 X1. What kind of increase would I get
upgrading to a 4000 X2?

Thanks.
Dave Feustel

It depends on your usage. The 3500+ is 2.2GHz with a 1/2M cache. The X2
4000+ is 2GHz with dual cores with 1M caches. On most single threaded
applications it would be a wash. There are a few very cache sensitive
programs that can run almost twice as fast with the bigger cache, but
those are the exception, most programs will only run a little faster with
the bigger cache, but that would be offset by the lower clock speed.
Having dual cores nearly doubles the throughput of the system but you'll
only see that if you are running multiple CPU intensive applications at
the same time or if you are running multithreaded applications. If I were
you I'd either do nothing or get an X2 5600 (I'd avoid the 6000 because
it consumes 125W, the 5600 is only 89W), the 4000 is to small a step to
bother with unless you can take advantage of the second core. There is a
big round of price cuts due in the next few days, you should wait a
couple of weeks before doing anything so they new prices have a chance to
show up in the channel.

Old April 8th 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
dave

[...]

I run 64-bit OpenBSD. I would switch to smp version of 64-bit OpenBSD with an
X2 chip. I run KDE Konqueror and Mplayer 24-7, plus tin and email and sometimes
big makes (Trolltech Qt, etc) that can take several hours. I will run more of
those big makes when I have more cpu horsepower. I have been waiting for the
price decreases. I have also been thinking about waiting for 2- or 4-core
Barcelona cpus too.
Old April 8th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:51:50 -0500, dave wrote:

[...]

If your makes are taking hours then an upgrade to a dual core is
absolutely worth it, make -j 2 will cut the time in half.
Old April 8th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
dave

[...]

Qt and KDE take the longest and I've never actually succeeded in building KDE.
I gave up on KDE because it seemed to be just too much for my system.
Building MPI takes quite a bit of time, but it succeeds.
Rebuilding the OpenBSD kernel, libraries, and userland takes a fair amount
of time too.
Old April 9th 07, 09:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

Fry's has the X2 6000+ with MB on sale for $229 til Tuesday here. Heck of
a deal I guess.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/a...subid=15739445

Old April 10th 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
David[_5_]

"dave" wrote in message
I currently am using a 3500+ AM2 X1. What kind of increase would I get
upgrading to a 4000 X2?

The AMD 64 x2 4000+ can be almost twice as quick as a the older AMD Athlon
3500+, depending on what software you are running. See,
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/index.php

David