Memory size for onboard graphics (GeForce6150)

Old February 6th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Me

Default Memory size for onboard graphics (GeForce6150)

:-)

I built a pc with the Asus M2NPV-MX mainboard and 512MB of DDR2-533, and I'm
using the onboard GeForce6150 graphics; the computer is only used for
office-type tasks and Photoshop, no gaming or 3D-applications whatsoever.
I was wondering what the optimal memory setting was. Can I just select a
minimal amount of memory to be used by the graphics, 32MB or something? What
is this memory used for in office applications anyway, does it store the
different overlayed windows when I use several programs at once?

Thanks,
Marc.

Old February 6th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

Having many windows open in Photoshop can use a Large amount of Video RAM.
32MB would not be nearly enough.

--
DaveW

----------------
:-)

Old February 7th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"Me" wrote in message
:-)

I built a pc with the Asus M2NPV-MX mainboard and 512MB of DDR2-533, and
I'm
using the onboard GeForce6150 graphics; the computer is only used for
office-type tasks and Photoshop, no gaming or 3D-applications whatsoever.
I was wondering what the optimal memory setting was. Can I just select a
minimal amount of memory to be used by the graphics, 32MB or something?
What
is this memory used for in office applications anyway, does it store the
different overlayed windows when I use several programs at once?

Thanks,
Marc.

How much work are you doing in PhotoShop? Will you be manipulating large,
photo-resolution files? If so, I would definitely recommend going with 2GB
of RAM. Even if you're just doing basic work, I would still definitely
recommend 1GB of RAM. The system will run noticeably smoother, especially
if you have multiple applications open. I'm assuming you will be running XP
(or Vista). I never ever build an XP machine with less than 1GB of RAM, and
the same reasoning would definitely hold true for Vista.

If you only have 512MB of RAM, I wouldn't put more than 32M aside. If you
had 1GB, I'd suggest 64M or 128M. 2GB, I'd say 128M or 256M.

RF.

Page file Jaap Telschouw General 59 January 24th 07 07:34 PM
ASUS GeForce 6600 (256 MB) question david jones Asus Motherboards 2 August 16th 06 06:12 AM
Patriot Memory Warranty Problem [email protected] General 7 May 5th 06 10:30 PM
Bios settings for TWINX2048-3200C2 on Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe ? Skybuck Flying Asus Motherboards 16 April 30th 06 09:45 PM
RAM problem Alb Asus Motherboards 9 January 31st 06 12:48 PM