HELP!- deadShift,Alt&Ctrl

Old January 21st 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Carl S

Default HELP!- deadShift,Alt&Ctrl

This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The Shift, Alt and
Ctrl keys have failed to function. An external keyboard plugged into
the back of the computer works fine. I can get uppercase letters with
caps lock, but that doesn't get me the characters over the numbers. I
have tried:

- Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and letting
it be recognized and reinstalled
- Removed computer battery for few minutes then powering up and rebooting
- Checking/unchecking every combination I could try in the accessibility
controls with respect to sticky and function keys

None of the above changes the situation.

Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
get out of?

Many thanks and any help would be appreciated!

/Carl S
Dallas TX

Old January 23rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Carl S" wrote in message
. net...
This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The Shift, Alt
and Ctrl keys have failed to function. An external keyboard
plugged into the back of the computer works fine. I can get
uppercase letters with caps lock, but that doesn't get me the
characters over the numbers. I have tried:

- Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and
letting it be recognized and reinstalled

Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
get out of?
/Carl S

To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"

Old January 23rd 07, 08:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Carl S

That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.

/Carl

- Bobb - wrote:
. net...

Old January 23rd 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

- Bobb - wrote:
"Carl S" wrote in message
. net...

This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The Shift, Alt
and Ctrl keys have failed to function. An external keyboard
plugged into the back of the computer works fine. I can get
uppercase letters with caps lock, but that doesn't get me the
characters over the numbers. I have tried:

- Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and
letting it be recognized and reinstalled

Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how
to get out of?
/Carl S

To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
Bobb

"Carl S" wrote in message
That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.

/Carl

Did I miss something ? Where previously did you mention Sticky Keys ?
I thought you stated a PC issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL.
To check CTRL+ALT+DEL :
Turn on PC.
It starts BIOS test
Press CTRL ALT DEL,
Does it reboot ?
If so, not kb/bios issue.
If that's the case update us here as to your windows issue. Are you
doing CTRL+ALT+DEL from Windows to get the "lock my PC" / "shutdown"
pop-up window ? And THAT does not work ? only from laptop kb ?

Old January 24th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Carl S

- Bobb - wrote:
- Bobb - wrote:
. net...

"Carl S" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry if I misled you. Not CTRL+ALT+DEL problem. Problem first
seemed to only be failure of shift keys. Then I realized that several
days before, I had seen a window pop up saying something about hitting
shift 5 times to get into sticky key mode, even though I hadn't done
that. So I went into accessibility settings and checked/unchecked all
combinations of boxes but nothing made a difference. Then I later
realized that CTRL and ALT are also affected. But my DEL key works. I
was probably guilty of stating that in another post...sorry. But thanks
for your interest! Maybe I just need to prepare myself to remove
keyboard and clean the contacts.

/Carl

Old January 25th 07, 04:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Carl S

Default Solved it--keyboard prob!

Thanks to all who replied. As much as I was unwilling to consider it,
the problem turned out to be my keyboard afterall...intermittent
connection, dirt, or sumthun'

Although I was hesitant to undertake the task of removing the keyboard,
it was pretty simple, except for figuring out how to remove the clips
which held cables in place, so I left 'em alone. Blew out the keys from
underneath with compressed air, put it back together, and all keys work
as they should.

Again, many thanks!

/Carl S