Automatically apply contrast/brightness settings?

Old January 12th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

Default Automatically apply contrast/brightness settings?

I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast
and brightness settings when I play a game.

Would be nice to be able to apply custom settings for full-screen
games, but all I see is "desktop", "full screen video", "overlay", and
"all". Apparently none are specifically for full-screen games.

Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
settings for full screen games or for individual games? Or is the
workaround to make a custom setting and manually switch to that while
playing a game? When doing that and switching back to the desktop, it's
too bright.

Thank you.

Old January 12th 07, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

John Doe wrote:
I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast ...
Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
settings for full screen games or for individual games?

Yes the nvidia game profiles can have settings for
color/brightness/contrast/gamma/shrpness/etc.

You associate the game with one, and the settings are applied
automatically when you start the game.

However, this does not always work. Sometimes, the nvidia functionality
doesn't 'catch' that you've started the app, and the settings aren't
applied (same thing can happen sometimes with the ATI profile feature,
so I don't think its an nvidia issue.)

Another problem is that some games do a complete reset of the GPU
settings when they start, and some when each new map or level is
loaded.
This will completely negate any changes made by the automatic driver
settings.

I use a cool little application built by a talented contributor at
MP3car.com called gammacontrol. Just do a google search for
gammacontrol, you should find it easily.
I posted a feature request to the author to have the application
'refresh' the desired settings at user specified intervals, which was
put into the app soon after.
This allows gammacontrol to work with games and applications that reset
the gpu settings on starts/reloads.

You can change the shortcut to your game, or use a tiny batch file, to
start gammacontrol, then the game, then exit gammacontrol.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Old January 12th 07, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

John Doe wrote:
I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast ...
Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
settings for full screen games or for individual games?

Yes the nvidia game profiles can have settings for
color/brightness/contrast/gamma/sharpness/etc.

Old January 12th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:
I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast
and brightness settings when I play a game.

Would be nice to be able to apply custom settings for full-screen
games, but all I see is "desktop", "full screen video", "overlay", and
"all". Apparently none are specifically for full-screen games.

Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
settings for full screen games or for individual games? Or is the
workaround to make a custom setting and manually switch to that while
playing a game? When doing that and switching back to the desktop, it's
too bright.

Thank you.

http://www.nhancer.com/

One of nHancers many features, is color scheme management for individual
programs/games.
Old January 12th 07, 08:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

"heycarnut" wrote:

Yes the nvidia game profiles

Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".

Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?

Are there instructions someplace?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Old January 12th 07, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:
"heycarnut" wrote:

Yes the nvidia game profiles

Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".

Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?

Are there instructions someplace?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

Odd and bad news all at once, nHancer v2.1.0 reports:

"The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support color
schemes in profiles anymore."

I used color schemes for OpenGL games, I'm perplexed, since testing
shows them to look the same with the affected drivers. shrug
Old January 12th 07, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , Mr.E Solved!
says...
John Doe wrote:
"heycarnut" wrote:

Yes the nvidia game profiles

Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".

Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?

Are there instructions someplace?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

Odd and bad news all at once, nHancer v2.1.0 reports:

"The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support color
schemes in profiles anymore."

Drop back a version or two until they do.

--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's **** list, you're not doing anything
worthwhile.
Old January 12th 07, 11:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

John Doe wrote:
"heycarnut" wrote:

Yes the nvidia game profiles

Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".

Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?

Are there instructions someplace?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

Odd and bad news all at once,

I think it's stunning.

nHancer v2.1.0 reports:

"The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support
color schemes in profiles anymore."

I think I found where it's supposed to be. Attempting to use it
wasn't going very well. Maybe they disabled it without removing the
dialogues.

Oh well, who plays computer games anyway /

What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
freeware? Go figure.

After lots of digging, I found what might be a relevant settings
path.

Right-click desktop -- NVIDIA Display -- select the display --
left-hand pane, Desktop Management -- Hot Keys -- Misc -- Load
profile

So I (repeatedly) assigned a hotkey for loading a profile, then
saved it and closed the dialogue. Then when I used the hotkey to
load that profile, instead of loading a profile, it deleted all of
the hot keys in the list.

However, that same location (Desktop Settings instead of Misc)
allows for assigning hot keys to brightness, contrast, and gamma.
Apparently it works without deleting itself. Also, it allows a
hotkey for resetting those three attributes to defaults like when
switching back to the desktop from a game. If those three monitor
settings can be reset with a hotkey, they should be as easily set to
your predefined preferences with a hotkey.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Old January 12th 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:16:55 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
freeware? Go figure.

I don't play a lot of computer games, but the ones I do play (mainly
Epic and ID created games) have sufficient brightness/contrast/gamma
in-game settings that I've never had to resort to overriding them with
profile options. I do use Nvidia's game profiles to control things
such as v-sync and anistropic filtering and that's always worked quite
well. As far as I know, Nvidia's profiles have never had the ability
to change brightness/contrast/gamma in games.
Old January 12th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:

What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
freeware? Go figure.

They do provide numerous other settings, specific to Image Quality,
including advanced color and hue controls. to provide individual
profiles per application doesn't seem to hard.

But then again, look at the extraordinary nonsense you have to go
through to get game profiles working with just the forceware suite.

I'm not sure why the settings only take after the 4th or 5th "ok", and
apply never works.

[...]

You are a brave and diligent soul, while it's true many games have
sufficient visual settings to brighten things up, specific brightness
ramps (avoiding that awful linear gain) for each application would be
perfect.

For example, fixing the astonishingly bad shadow to bight area
transitions in BF2. That game needs customizing desperately, or HDR,
either would work!

If you get it working, put some instructions together, and you can post
it to Digg and help out a lot of peeps!