Latest driver WITHOUT the new control panel

Old January 6th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Default Latest driver WITHOUT the new control panel

Anyone know what driver version is the latest without the new stupid
(a disk hogging) control-panel? Or in what version it first appeared?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live
Old January 6th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:

Anyone know what driver version is the latest without the new stupid
(a disk hogging) control-panel? Or in what version it first appeared?

To directly answer your question, you can use both control panels in all
current versions of Forceware drivers, you just have to look look for
the prompts and select "classic panel" instead of the new panel. The new
panels became optional standard with the 90's series.

What exactly do you mean by 'disk-hogging'? Do you mean to imply that
the software has a data footprint substantially larger than other
programs of it's nature?

While the international version of Forcewares is 60M, the single
language version is 40M, and the bulk of that is not installed. You can
delete the downloaded suite from storage when done installing, if you
have a very small HDD. If you have gigabytes of storage, 40M is
insignificant.

I've read many of your posts Lars-Erik, and you seem trapped in some
technological time-warp, where you insist that the hardware and software
limitations of the 1990's still exist today! It's just not true.

Files on your disk do not slow your PC down. Multiple hardware devices
supported by a suite do not slow the device down, Clear Type fixes
scaling issues, refresh rates do not matter on LCD's, etc. etc.

What happened Lars? Why has your computer-fu stalled at the turn of the
century? I mean, you post here often, you should at least be current!

Old January 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

To directly answer your question, you can use both control panels in all
current versions of Forceware drivers, you just have to look look for
the prompts and select "classic panel" instead of the new panel. The new
panels became optional standard with the 90's series.

Yep, but they take much extra space, and some functionality is moved
from the classic to the new. I have tried it so I'll just see :-)

What exactly do you mean by 'disk-hogging'? Do you mean to imply that
the software has a data footprint substantially larger than other

5MB more than previous version for a video-driver.... Well....
And the annoying fact that even the english version installs the
new control panel with the "locale" language (not the "text" one)

While the international version of Forcewares is 60M, the single
language version is 40M, and the bulk of that is not installed. You can

It takes almost that on disk as well. The 8x.xx series are half that

technological time-warp, where you insist that the hardware and software
limitations of the 1990's still exist today! It's just not true.

I have an old MB still, and I'm trying not to upgrade it quite yet :-)
Then you need to think about things like RAM usage (HDD is large :-)

Files on your disk do not slow your PC down. Multiple hardware devices

When read they do, when loaded into memory they do. From the 80 to the
90 series drivers the free memory has gone down quite a bit sadly .-(
Old January 7th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:

I have an old MB still, and I'm trying not to upgrade it quite yet :-)
Then you need to think about things like RAM usage (HDD is large :-)

When read they do, when loaded into memory they do. From the 80 to the
90 series drivers the free memory has gone down quite a bit sadly .-(

I think I see your perspective now, which is that of the nforce2- VIA
KT400 class system. Yes, dated, but still workable for everything but
shader heavy gaming.

So you bring up a good point, with the large installed user base of that
class of system, the larger more complex software which is not demanding
at all on modern systems becomes very demanding, if only briefly, on the
older system.

The only solution of course, is new gear. I see you spending guilders or
EU dollars for new goods soon, or pretty soon you will be trying to
optimize Windows Vista Wordpad on your PC.

I know the feeling, I have a very fast single core CPU that shares
precious little with the dual-core CPU components it needs to run it
properly. I'm looking at about $1K USD for a new CPU, MOBO and RAM. I'd
rather not!
Old January 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

The only solution of course, is new gear. I see you spending guilders or
EU dollars for new goods soon, or pretty soon you will be trying to

No point in upgrading graphics for to much right now with DX10 on way.
So I though of buying a cheap but better AGP card (7600GS or GT).
Then use my rig for a year or two. Then buy new MB, CPU and DX10 GPU.