Geforce 7600 GS and WMP (AGP)

Old January 2nd 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob Pollard

Default Geforce 7600 GS and WMP (AGP)

Am I correct in saying that the above card and in fact ALL nVidia AGP cards
are not capable of playing windows video with hardware acceleration turned
on? From the research I have been doing this seems to be the case.

I used to be in the ATI camp up until a month or two ago. Then I switched to
nVidia....

Any of my games that use windows video now fail to work as the video only
works with acceleration turned off, yet the games themselves only work with
acceleration turned on!

If this is true I will be returning back to my ATI roots and will be
publishing a web page to highlight this very damaging issue...

--
RobP
'There are only 10 types of people in this world - Those that understand

Old January 2nd 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
BigJim

go to the nvidia site and go thru the download procedures for a geforce
card/
When you get to the new driver page, scroll down, there is a small link to
the new driver/ you can read about the fixes
with the all the released drivers.
. uk...

Old January 2nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Rob Pollard wrote:

Am I correct in saying that the above card and in fact ALL nVidia AGP cards
are not capable of playing windows video with hardware acceleration turned
on? From the research I have been doing this seems to be the case.

I used to be in the ATI camp up until a month or two ago. Then I switched to
nVidia....

Any of my games that use windows video now fail to work as the video only
works with acceleration turned off, yet the games themselves only work with
acceleration turned on!

If this is true I will be returning back to my ATI roots and will be
publishing a web page to highlight this very damaging issue...

Dearest Sir, We are in awe of your noble vexation. Such insidious
digital treachery you have bravely taken a stand on! But what pray, will
you ever do if the case you state is *not* true? Will you retire your
Quill e-pen? Or will you support your new Video Regent and their RGB
converting glories.

Such passion is only meritorious if it extends to both sides of the
issue, otherwise it's just a lot of....feh. Feel free to quote me in
your scathing missives!

btw, it's not true!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/08/ms_dxva_patch/
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...video_dec.html

Old January 3rd 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"Rob Pollard" wrote in message
. uk...
Am I correct in saying that the above card and in fact ALL nVidia AGP
cards are not capable of playing windows video with hardware acceleration
turned on? From the research I have been doing this seems to be the case.

Is this a checkbox in WMP, or that slider in Windows Display Properties?

If you haven't already, uncheck "use video mixing renderer" in WMP. It gets
rid of the psychedelic colors some users see, on both ATi and nVidia
platforms.

Also, what happens if you move the hardware acceleration slider down one or
two notches, instead of turning it off? I recall this was a common
"solution" in the days of Mechwarrior4, which had an AVI intro video.

How many codec packs have you installed?

If this is true I will be returning back to my ATI roots and will be
publishing a web page to highlight this very damaging issue...

Yada yada, grassroots ATi movement, extremist webpages, "red" cults... seen
it all. Become American like everybody else and file a class-action lawsuit
if the issue is that damaging. :-)

Old January 3rd 07, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob Pollard

Hi BigJim,
Tried this with several of nVidias drivers and none of them work. I am
currently using the latest supported version from their website.

Thanks
RobP
'There are only 10 types of people in this world - Those that understand
binary and those that don't'
. ..

Old January 3rd 07, 09:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob Pollard

Hi 1stOf1,
Unchecking 'using the video renderer' option has provided me with some
progress. Although videos are still not playing, Windows Media Player is no
longer freezing! This is good from my point of view as it means I can now
get back to an old classic game called SuperBikes 2001! :-)

I guess there are problems either in the hardware or the device driver
which is causing the video renderer to fail. I will investigate further.
Despite the lack of full success this is certainly a vast improvement.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob Pollard

Thank you fine Sir for your advice. I have downloaded and installed the
patch but it seems to make no difference. I tried the advice from First of
One (the post after yours) and I made a little progress. This advice
involved unchecking the 'use video mixing renderer' option. I still cannot
play any video, but crucially windows media player no longer freezes the
system. The upshot of this is that I can now play some of the games that
previously failed due to their video intros.

I'm still investigating this, but everything seems to point to either a
driver or hardware issue.

Thanks
RobP
'There are only 10 types of people in this world - Those that understand
binary and those that don't'

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 3rd 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Good. The other thing is to ensure your motherboard chipset drivers are up
to date. (Yes, even if you use an Intel board.)

Old January 4th 07, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rob Pollard

Thanks. Just checked the motherboard drivers and mine are still up to date.
I guess I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground for new GeForce drivers.