Recovery Allocation Size?

Old December 28th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
NapalmHeart

Default Recovery Allocation Size?

I'm replacing the hard drive in my Presario SR1011NX. Should I set the size
of the D drive at the same size as the D drive in the original hard drive or
should I make it as the same percentage size. I'm replacing a 40G with a
120G.

Thanks,

Ken

Old December 28th 06, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

If you are trying to use the Recovery CD, not to be confused with the
QuickRestore CD(s), be advised it will NOT work on a blank hard drive. The
Recovery CD uses the compressed restore files on the D: System_sav
partition to restore the drive. No partition/files, no restore.

HH

Old December 28th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"NapalmHeart" wrote in message
I'm replacing the hard drive in my Presario SR1011NX. Should I set
the size of the D drive at the same size as the D drive in the
original hard drive or should I make it as the same percentage size.
I'm replacing a 40G with a 120G.

Thanks,

Ken

The model # means nothing to me - is it Win98 / XP ?
WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW DRIVE, leave the old drive hooked up as master
for a few minutes, hook up the new drive as slave and RUN the CD clone
program that came with the new drive. Select "copy drive" to create the
new image on your new drive. Nothing personal, but I'll just note: DO
pay attention to "copy from = 40 gb", 'copy to = 120gb' - you do not
want to end up with 2 blanks drives. That will save your factory D drive
restore files to the new drive.
If while doing that, you can choose the size, maybe make it a bit bigger
( to allow room for more backups), but generally in Compaq's, you use
the D drive only for backups/restore info so do not put your "everyday
stuff" there . If not Win98 or ME, and IS Win2000 or WinXP ( that has
NTFS ), the D drive would be in FAT32 - not NTFS. Leave it that way in
case XP gets toasted you can still restore your system.
If you do not NEED the disk space at all , I'd suggest keeping the
original in there but not hooked / plugged in. That way you will always
have the necessary info to recreate the factory image - even if the
power supply fries your new drive.

Old December 29th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
NapalmHeart

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

[...]

XP. Thanks for the good comments.

Ken