Barton 2500+ - strange overclock problem

Old January 25th 04, 05:38 PM
Andrew Gowen

Default Barton 2500+ - strange overclock problem

Hi,

I have a rather unique problem with a 2500+ overclock. My system is:

Barton 2500+ (AXDA2500DKV4D) - locked :-(
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe - v1.4 - 1007 Uber BIOS
2 off sticks of 512MB Crucial PC3200 XMS
SATA, IDE, both LANs and IEE1394 enabled
Using on-board sound

SATA - RAID0 using two DiamondMax 80GB drives - has boot partition
IDE1 - Another 80GB drive
IDE2 - Pioneer A105 DVD-R and LG CD-RW

Sapphire 9800 Pro

The problem occurs at boot. As the multiplier is locked, I am trying to
increase the FSB. However, if I go above 169MHz the system will not post.
I have increased the core to 1.75v but to no effect.

Now here is the weird part, if I boot at 166MHz FSB and get into WinXP, I
can use ClockGen to increase the FSB up to 190MHz (1.75v) and the system
runs stable with Prime95. The chip will run fine at stock voltage and
180MHz FSB. It just will not boot past 169MHz!

I have previously run the memory at 210MHz when overclocking a XP2400+,
using the same system set-up. The new 2500+ obviously has some headroom for
an overclock but put them together and they will not boot!

I have only found this problem mentioned one other time on the 'Net. Does
anyone have any suggestions or a solution to this please?

Cheers,

Kayf

**E-mail does not work, please post to group**

Old January 25th 04, 10:19 PM
AndrewJ

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:38:57 -0000, "Andrew Gowen"
wrote:

[...]

Is RAM in sync with FSB and set to 100%? While your checking lock the
AGP to 66Mhz.
__________
If you give a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old January 25th 04, 11:30 PM
Lee

May sound silly but i have experienced something similar where my xp 1800+
would not post if i had an fsb of 180 so what i did was change the setting
'Halt on' to No Errors in standard cmos and it seem to cure it

try it let me know.

:
[...]

-----
Lee.
Old January 25th 04, 11:36 PM
Kayf

Thanks for the suggestions.

Memory is set to 100% sync and I have locked the AGP to 66MHz. Still the
same problem.

I will check the 'halt on' setting and report back.

Thanks for the quick replies,

Kayf

"Lee" wrote in message
May sound silly but i have experienced something similar where my xp 1800+
would not post if i had an fsb of 180 so what i did was change the setting
'Halt on' to No Errors in standard cmos and it seem to cure it

try it let me know.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:38:57 -0000, "Andrew Gowen"

wrote:

:Hi,
:

Old January 26th 04, 07:10 AM
MickT

When you say no POST, does your mother beeps?
If so,beep sequence is error report, actually!

If not, I would suggested that you take out one memory stick and try again,
nForce chips have a very strange taste on memories! There should be nothing
wrong with the memory, but the nForce chip just don't like them ;-)

I had try 3 different made RAM modules before my 2500+ will run stable
200MHz FSB!

Also, try lock you RAM speed at 166MHz and just increas the CPU FSB.

Old January 26th 04, 07:13 AM
MickT

Sorry , typo, suould be "motherboard beeps"!

"MickT" NoAddress ¦b¶l¥ó ¤¤¼¶¼g

Old January 26th 04, 08:02 AM
Kayf

Thanks for the idea. I have previously had the memory running at 210MHz on
this board, when overclocking a XP2400+. I will try the 166MHz setting,
just in case the Barton has made some sort of difference.

The system does not reach the first post 'beep'. The monitor does not
respond either. It remains in sleep mode, so the BIOS is not even getting
to the point where it will wake up the graphics. In order to get the system
to respond, I have to clear the BIOS using the jumper switch.

Cheers,

Kayf

Old January 26th 04, 01:31 PM
Bryan Prestbury

Hi Andrew

Don't have a solution but I am using the same mb, cpu and crucial memory at
200 FSB (Radeon 9600 Pro) with no problems but I only manged to achieve
equivalent speed of 3000+ without game shut downs. Untill I get an improved
HSF I will leave mine at this setting. Are your memory timings too
agressive?

Bryan

Old January 26th 04, 01:34 PM
valkan

"Kayf" ha scritto nel messaggio
Thanks for the idea. I have previously had the memory running at 210MHz

on
this board, when overclocking a XP2400+. I will try the 166MHz setting,
just in case the Barton has made some sort of difference.

The system does not reach the first post 'beep'. The monitor does not
respond either. It remains in sleep mode, so the BIOS is not even getting
to the point where it will wake up the graphics. In order to get the

system
I've similar problems with my
Barton2500+ (locked)
ECS KT600-A1.0 (not good for overclock)
1x512MB DDR400PC3200(kingmax) 2.5-3-3-6
Bus 332.0Mhz.
Frequency: 199.3Mhz
FSBRAM: FSB+33Mhz
Cpu FSB is set to 166Mhz and Cpu speed results 1826Mhz with vcore 1.58v ( I
can't change vcore from bios!)
I've tried to raise up the fsb but at 176 the system doesn't boot. At 172Mhz
I can load winxp but I get some errors. I don't know what can I do now.
Benchmark memory :
sandra 2348MB/s - 2184MB/s
Aida 2227 read - 711 write
SuperPi 59s is almost good.

Old January 26th 04, 02:28 PM
valkan

"Kadaitcha Man" ha scritto nel messaggio
. com...
valkan wrote:

SuperPi 59s is almost good.

I get 32 seconds for 32M at 25% processor load. Is that good?

....but what processor do have you? perhaps 32K in 32s!