AGP card advice please

Old July 30th 06, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lord

Default AGP card advice please

I have a AGP setup but the current card a GeForce 6600GT (have been very
happy with it), but it's struggling to run new games at a decent frame rate
at 1280 x 1024, the native setting of my monitor. Will be upgrading the
full pc in a years time, and this one will being going in to my daughters
room.

So looking at one last upgrade for my current AGP PC;

PM800- M2 Mother Board
P4 3ghz
1gb RAM
800gb hard disk space

If I bought the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3
TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP), would my current CPU get bottlenecked? would it be
able to handle newer games, ie oblivion call of duty 2 etc? does anyone have
a similar system or comments that would help?

Thanks

John

Old July 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim

John,

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB
GDDR3
TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

I'm running the same card and love it. I do highly recommend that you
have at least a 500 watt power supply. Gainward's minimum is 400 w.,
but you need more for other items (RAM/HD's/CDRW/DVD/etc.)

I bought a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express/SLi. Being an SLi
capable P/S, I'm ready for later when I finally get such a MoBo & video
card.

My system specs;

Abit IC7-G
Corsair 1GB Kit DDR550 XMS4400 Memory w/Black Heat Spreaders
Pentium® 4 CPU Northwood 2.4GHz (OC'd to 2.8 so far), 800MHz FSB,
Socket 478
Zalman 7000B-Cu LED cpu cooler
(2)IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB
Buffer,[in RAID0 array]
Maxtor 200GB-HDD
Maxtor 160GB-HDD
Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI(AGP)
2 case fans [1 in p/s, plus 1-cpu, 1-gpu,] 5 total fans.
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express/SLi - power supply
19" ProView LCD monitor
WinXP Pro w/SP2
Sony DVD-CDRW drive double-layer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor(external audio/video)
LogiTech 5.1 X530 surround sound system
LogiTech MX-700 cordless USB mouse
APC Back-UPS XS-1500
--

Jim
Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZASS 6.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Old July 30th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"John Lord" wrote in message
So looking at one last upgrade for my current AGP PC;

PM800- M2 Mother Board
P4 3ghz
1gb RAM
800gb hard disk space

If I bought the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3
TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP), would my current CPU get bottlenecked? would it be
able to handle newer games, ie oblivion call of duty 2 etc? does anyone
have a similar system or comments that would help?

Newer games like Oblivion and CoD2 are almost always video-card-limited once
you crank up the visual options. The 7800GS+ can handle Oblivion at the
"very high" setting with HDR, under most circumstances.

Don't worry too much about power supply requirements. The 7800GS+ has a 7900
core and draw about half as much power as competing ATi cards. A 400 W power
supply should be sufficient.

Old July 30th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

It would not. :-) You need something in the 400W range (or more if you can
afford it), and stick with good brands like Enermax, Antec, Seasonic or PC
Power & Cooling ($$).

"BuddyWh" root@localhost. wrote in message
Uh-oh.... right now I'm running a 2.8 Northwood and my 6600GT on a
240W supply. I wonder if it would hold 7800GS??

Old July 30th 06, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
EDM

"John Lord" wrote in message ...

I have a AGP setup but the current card a GeForce 6600GT (have been very
happy with it), but it's struggling to run new games at a decent frame rate
at 1280 x 1024, the native setting of my monitor. Will be upgrading the
full pc in a years time, and this one will being going in to my daughters
room.

So looking at one last upgrade for my current AGP PC;

PM800- M2 Mother Board
P4 3ghz
1gb RAM
800gb hard disk space

If I bought the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3
TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP), would my current CPU get bottlenecked? would it be
able to handle newer games, ie oblivion call of duty 2 etc? does anyone have
a similar system or comments that would help?

According to Nvidia a 3GHz P4 is the cutoff point for a
7800GS+ to avoid severe bottlenecking. But if you can
overclock it a bit to 3.2 or 3.4GHz, all the better.

As for Oblivion, nothing runs it completely smoothly with
all eyecandy at max. Not even the highest-end PCI-E
cards. But for all other games you'll be thrilled with the
GS+. E.g. in HL2 on a 3.6GHz P4 I can play HL2 at
1280x1024 @ 85.5FPS (all options set to max), or
1600x1200 @ 84FPS (no AA -- isn't needed with the
higher resolution on a CRT). Compared to my last
video card (a 9700 Pro) HL2 benched ~45FPS.

Old July 30th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lord

Thanks guy, looks of useful help. Also done a bit of research and will
order it tomorrow.

EDM, sounds a good idea just to give the new card some breathing space.
I've overclocked my 6600 for a while but never my CPU, it's now out of
warranty so will start reading and learning about how to do it, any good
sites you can recommend that will help me?

Thanks

John

Old July 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lord

'erm looks like my mb isn't great for overclocking, and thanks, sounds
tempting but this is my last upgrade for my current agp setup till I upgrade
to a new system next year (still saving!), so will see what the new card
runs like on my current system.

thanks for the advice all

John

Old July 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'John' wrote, in part:
| I've overclocked my 6600 for a while but never my CPU, it's now out of
| warranty so will start reading and learning about how to do it, any good
| sites you can recommend that will help me?
_____

The newsgroup: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking .

Phil Weldon

Old July 31st 06, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim

EDM wrote:
"John Lord" wrote in message ...

I have a AGP setup but the current card a GeForce 6600GT (have been very
happy with it), but it's struggling to run new games at a decent frame rate
at 1280 x 1024, the native setting of my monitor. Will be upgrading the
full pc in a years time, and this one will being going in to my daughters
room.

snip

I came in late on this one but I would have to say that you should
seriously consider saving your money by not buying an AGP card, PCI
Express is coming and it sounds like Oblivion is the kind of game that
will force a change to the new standard. Also consider that bigger &
wider LCD displays are getting cheaper daily, so any money spent on AGP
hardware might buy hardware that has a short lifetime...

Old July 31st 06, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Intel owners have a harder time upgrading because PCIe is tied-in with the
new LGA775 CPU socket and DDR2 RAM. Socket 478 motherboards with PCIe are
quite rare.