When A chopped through B's phone wires...

Old July 16th 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default When A chopped through B's phone wires...

Two of us are in slight contention over possible damage to a computer.
We are hoping that the collective brains of this group might resolve
the issue. Both of us have agreed this text. One of us is A. and lives
in the same building as B, the owner of the computer. At issue is:

What is the probability that by his actions A caused the damage
described to B's computer.

WHAT A. DID. A number of wires passed through a conservatory roof
where A lives. These were mainly phone cables but also two TV aerial
cables. Most of the phone wires went into a junction box then out of
the junction box and back out through the roof. One of the points
where the wires passed through the roof allowed rainwater to leak into
the building. Knowing some of the wires to be redundant and believing
them all to be so A. cut through them all and pulled them all back
outside the roof. The two holes were then sealed.

WHAT B. DID. On the same morning that A. did the above, B. tried to
make a phone call but was unable and reported a fault to the phone
engineer. On further investigatation B. discovered his phone wires
were cut. "Gosh!" thought B. B. met A. and enquired after the state of
A's phone, whereupon A. explained what he had done. "Oh dear!" they
both said.

WHAT A. AND B. THEN DID. They agreed that, between the two of them,
they might manage to re-establish B's connection by trial and error.
From among the tangle of chopped wires they believed they might be
able to reverse the vasectomy. At first attempt they got a dialling
tone, albeit with some background noise. At this point they believed
they had basically solved the problem, even though B was still unable
to make or receive a calls.

WHAT B. THEN DID. B. decided to test his internet connection. B.
connected his modem to his pc and booted up in the usual manner.
Boot-up went as normal, and everything appeared OK. However, when B.
tried to go online [AOL broadband] it appeared that there was no
connection. B. thought no more of the matter and pottered about for
about an hour. On returning to his pc the screen was all white with
grey vertical bands and some red stripes.

Next day an engineer put the matter right. What A and B had in fact
done was reconnect to the wrong line. However, even with the now
properly restored phone connection B's pc still had the weird grey
with red stripes display. Seeking advice among friends the view seemed
to be a knackered video card. One person suggested that if the
incorrect connection had been to an ISDN line, "which carries twice
the voltage of a normal phone line" that could somehow have fried the
video card's brain. A different monitor was tried with the same
result, thus eliminating the monitor as the problem.

THEREFO I refer the right honourable members to my initial
question; what is the probability that A damaged B's computer or B's
video card either by a] initially chopping through the wires or b] by
inadvertently connecting them to the wrong ones?

B's pc is a Pentium iv, slot one running on XP. The video card is an
Nvidia GForce 4.

Many thanks for any help and/or advice!

A. and B.

Old July 16th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'A. and B.' wrote, in part:
| What is the probability that by his actions A caused the damage
| described to B's computer.

Try posing your question again.
Eliminate the irrelevant information.
Don't make the post a committee effort.
Ask a straightforward question.

Phil Weldon

Old July 17th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

From among the tangle of chopped wires they believed they might be
[...]

The probability of damaging the video board under the circumstances you
describe without damaging a lot of other stuff including the modem is
vanishingly small unless there's something very unusual about the way the
video board is connected. I don't want to quite say it's impossible but I
would be hard-pressed to come up with a mechanism by which it could happen.

Dumb question--did you shut the machine down, unplug it from the mains, let
it sit for a couple of minutes and then power it back up? If not, try
that. Make sure you unplug it and wait at least a full minute by the
clock.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 17th 06, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , says...

Well that's pure bull**** for a start.

--
Conor

"I have as much authority as the pope, I just
don't have as many people who believe it" - George Carlin
Old July 17th 06, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Carl

is the modem a usb one? it wouldn't have been connected to a monitor through
usb ports on the monitor??

Old July 17th 06, 07:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Thanks for the post pip

Duncan

wrote in message
[...]

From among the tangle of chopped wires they believed they might be

Old July 17th 06, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Thanks for the post John

The probability of damaging the video board under the circumstances you
describe without damaging a lot of other stuff including the modem is
vanishingly small unless there's something very unusual about the way the
video board is connected. I don't want to quite say it's impossible but I
would be hard-pressed to come up with a mechanism by which it could happen.

Dumb question--did you shut the machine down, unplug it from the mains, let
it sit for a couple of minutes and then power it back up? If not, try
that. Make sure you unplug it and wait at least a full minute by the
clock.

Doesn't strike me as a dumb question! - not half as dumb as chopping
through a bunch of live phone wires! and I should know as I was the
chopper! But I will pass on your suggestion about unplugging etc.
We're going to put in a different video card to try and eliminate
another variable.

Thanks again

Duncan
Old July 17th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Thanks for the post Carl. I'm not sure about the answer, but I assume
it was connected via usb to the pc. But I'll ask. Meanwhile we are
going to put in a different video card and see if that does the trick.
Thanks again

Duncan

Old July 17th 06, 12:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rocky

wrote in message
Two of us are in slight contention over possible damage to a computer.
We are hoping that the collective brains of this group might resolve
the issue. Both of us have agreed this text. One of us is A. and lives
in the same building as B, the owner of the computer. At issue is:

What is the probability that by his actions A caused the damage
described to B's computer.

This is quite simple. The entire episode is due to the initial (rather
silly) actions of A, therefore the probability is high the A (whether
directly or indirectly) is responsible for the damage to said computer,
based on .....

WHAT A. DID.Knowing some of the wires to be redundant and believing
them all to be so A. cut through them all

..... in best simpson-esque .... DOH!!!

Al.