Good AGP graphics card

Old July 5th 06, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Pete9

Default Good AGP graphics card

Hello. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I'd like to upgrade.
Does anyone know what the most powerful AGP graphics card on the market it
and whether it would be cause a significant improvement in performance over
my existing card? I'm not particularly bothered about the manufacturer.
Also the processor is a Pentium4 2.6Ghz so bare in mind this may be a
bottleneck.
Thanks.

Old July 5th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Pete9 wrote:
Hello. I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I'd like to upgrade.
Does anyone know what the most powerful AGP graphics card on the market it
and whether it would be cause a significant improvement in performance over
my existing card? I'm not particularly bothered about the manufacturer.
Also the processor is a Pentium4 2.6Ghz so bare in mind this may be a
bottleneck.
Thanks.

Given your current processor, I think a good match would be a 6800 (GS,
GT, or Ultra) if you want to go Nvidia. On the ATI side, I'm thinking
an X800 GTO or a X1600. Anything more might be bottlenecked by the
rest of your system. Out of all here, I'd probably look for a 6800 GS
if you can find one, as they generally cost about $170-$180 and can
often be unlocked and overclocked to GT or greater specs.

Of course, you could also save up a few more $ and replace your AGP
board with a PCIe board and new processor. This way, you'd have a
faster and more current all-around system, and your choices of graphics
cards would be better. But that would cost more $ and I do understand
that is not always an option!

Post here if you narrow down your video card choices and want more
specific advice.

Old July 6th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Alexander Freudenberg wrote:
"Pete9" schrieb
I'm currently using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I'd like to upgrade.
Does anyone know what the most powerful AGP graphics card on
the market it and whether it would be cause a significant improvement
in performance over my existing card?

I recently upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a GeForce 7800 GS and I'm very
satisfied with my decision. Depending on the application I could double
the frame rate. (P4 3200)
Today I would probably buy a Gainward Bliss 7800 GS (it's a 7800 GT with
512 MB RAM for AGP)

AF.

Obviously, the GB 7800 GS is a nice card!... But at $600, it seems way
out of line to add to a P4 2.6ghz system!!! I recommended a card that
would work almost as well (due to the bottlenecks of the system) and
costs less than 1/3 the price... Certainly, a 6800 GS/GT will double
framerates of a 9800. If the op really has that kind of cash to spend
on an upgrade, I'd be recommending a new PCI-e board, processor and
card. There's no way I'd spend $600 on a AGP card at this point, as it
is already dead-end technology.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting down the 7800 GS. again, it's a
great card and I'd love to have one! But I just can't come up with a
reason why anyone would pour that much $ into an AGP upgrade, when a
more powerful PCI-e system could be built for the same amount or less
$.

-CK

Old July 6th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bandit

On 6 Jul 2006 08:25:34 -0700, wrote:

[...]

something like this would be better for him and its not $600 dollars

Old July 7th 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Pete9

"bandit" wrote in message
[...]

I'll probably get a Geforce 6800. Now does anyone know how wide this card
is. All the PCI slots are full and I don't want to have to remove one to
make room. Will a Geforce 6800 fit in the same space as a Radeon9800?
Thanks.

Old July 24th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tuomas Koskinen

"Pete9" wrote in message

Also the processor is a Pentium4 2.6Ghz so bare in mind this may be a
bottleneck.

The processor speed of the processor is not that relevant at all. Itīs
frustrating to tell ANY difference in a 1,5 ghz and 4,7 ghz computer, if
both have fast enough graphic cards.

Old July 25th 06, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tim

"Tuomas Koskinen" wrote in message ...

"Pete9" wrote in message

Also the processor is a Pentium4 2.6Ghz so bare in mind this may be a
bottleneck.

The processor speed of the processor is not that relevant at all. Itīs
frustrating to tell ANY difference in a 1,5 ghz and 4,7 ghz computer, if
both have fast enough graphic cards.

That's more than a bit overstated. Whether you'll see a
substantial difference with a faster CPU depends almost
entirely on which games you play, the resolution(s) you
play them at, and how much eye candy you want while
you play them.

I see complaints all the time from people who upgraded
from 6600 and 6800 series AGP cards to 7800's, they
didn't see much (or sometimes any) improvement because
they have slower CPUs, and play games that rely heavily
on CPU speed.

Old July 25th 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tim

"Tuomas Koskinen" wrote in message ...

nk.net...

"Pete9" wrote in message

Also the processor is a Pentium4 2.6Ghz so bare in mind this may be a
bottleneck.

The processor speed of the processor is not that relevant at all. Itīs
frustrating to tell ANY difference in a 1,5 ghz and 4,7 ghz computer, if
both have fast enough graphic cards.

That's more than a bit overstated. Whether you'll see a
substantial difference with a faster CPU depends almost
entirely on which games you play, the resolution(s) you
play them at,

The resolution at which you play a game at has to do with how much MEMORY
you have
in your graphics card. If you donīt have enough memory, then games will be
slower.
Myself I do not under any games notice difference in 1024*768 and 800*600
resolution,
because I have enough memory in my graphic card. If you donīt believe me,
read in any computer magazine, and over the years, the memory and the speed
of the memory is the thing
that matters when changing resolution.

I see complaints all the time from people who upgraded
from 6600 and 6800 series AGP cards to 7800's, they
didn't see much (or sometimes any) improvement because
they have slower CPUs, and play games that rely heavily
on CPU speed.

Well it depends on a lot of factors whether there is a difference. First of
all, what tells you there should be much difference in those particular
graphic cards ? Is the other one more expensive ?
I have seen huge differences in graphic card speeds, and referring to any
computer magazine over the years, a computers bottleneck has always been the
graphic card.

I had a fairly lengthy email exchange with Brian Burke from
Nvidia about Gainward's 7800GS+ AGP card. NV's major
concern about officially releasing a 24-pipe AGP design is
that they believed not enough gamers with AGP systems
have fast enough CPUs to take advantage of a G71/7900
core. They didn't want to straddle their manufacturers with
a bunch of product returns from customers who complained
about inadequate (or no) performance increase over older
cards. Kudos to Gainward for doing it anyway.

Brian also said the minimum CPU needed to avoid severe
bottlenecking with the 7800GS+ is a P4 @ 3GHz or an
AMD 3000+.

I have to assume Nvidia knows what they're talking about,
and Brian's claim is verified by posts all over the internet.
People who have the referenced CPUs or better are very
happy with their upgrades, while those with slower CPUs
aren't.

Old July 25th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:48:26 -0700, "Tuomas Koskinen"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Tuomas Koskinen" wrote in message

t...

"Pete9" wrote in message

[...]

So your telling me that a 512MB 6200 will perform better than
my 128MB 6600GT, even if the 6200 resides in an Athlon 1.4Ghz while my
6600GT resides in an Athlon XP 3000+. Unless the games your playing
are older than the slower CPU system, then you will notice a
difference.
Don't get me wrong. You can pop a 7800GS AGP into a P4 2.0Ghz,
and see a difference from a lower powered card (like a GF4), but with
a faster CPU, new games will play alot smoother. Flight Sims are an
example of CPU intensive games. LockOn runs like dirt on my Athlon XP
3000+ with 1GB DDR333, & a 6600GT, but actually runs faster on my
Athlon64 3800+ Venice with 1GB DDR400, and a GF4 Ti4400. The Athlon64
system has a PCI-E 16x slot, and an XGP slot for use with AGP cards.
However, it runs the AGP card over the PCI bus (33Mhz), so the GF4 Ti
is cut down from it's full potential.