Removeable SATA drive keeps being flagged as dynamic/foreign ?!

Old June 10th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Removeable SATA drive keeps being flagged as dynamic/foreign ?!

I have two systems:

1) New ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe with AMD 4200
2) Older ASUS A7V333

I have identical "EZ Swap 2" removable SATA trays in both. The
A8N32-SLI has built in SATA support, the A7V333 has a SATA PCI card.

Note:
* RAID is turned off in both machines.
* All removeable drives have been created as Basic disks.

I set this up thinking I could move drives back and forth between them
as needed, but I am finding than when I move a drive from the A8N32-SLI
to the A7V333, the drive gets flagged as Dynamic and Foreign in Disk
Management, has a yellow exclamation point, and cannot be partitioned.
The only way to bring it back online is to right click, convert to
Basic, wich obviously blows away my data. Good God, how did that
happen ? The other way works fine (taking a drive from the A7V333 to
the A8N32-SLI), but the A8N32-SLI is defiling the damn thing somehow,
so its a one way street. Anyone have any idea why this is happening ?

Old June 12th 06, 02:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

It would probably work if you stop using your boot drives.

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu - 4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold

oups.com...

Old June 13th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Oh, you mean if I leave my computers turned off I won't have this
probem ? Yeah, that would work ;-)

(Otherwise, I am not sure I understand your statement. Those
removeables are not boot drives.)

Scott