7950gtx extreme or 7900gtx xxx????

Old June 9th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 7950gtx extreme or 7900gtx xxx????

Hi,

Like a lot of people out there who ordered the XFX 7900GTX XXX, i have
been waiting 2 months for my card to arrive. I placed orders with
several companies but none have been able to provide me with the card.
As a stop gap i purchased the XFX 7900GTX Extreme card and its OK but I
find it a bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I
received a parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card
had arrived but no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.

My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original
one I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make
do with with 7900GTX extreme?

Cheers,

John.
Old June 9th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

Like a lot of people out there who ordered the XFX 7900GTX XXX, i have
been waiting 2 months for my card to arrive. I placed orders with several
companies but none have been able to provide me with the card. As a stop
gap i purchased the XFX 7900GTX Extreme card and its OK but I find it a
bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I received a
parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card had arrived but
no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.

My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original one
I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make do
with with 7900GTX extreme?

Cheers,

John.

The 7950GTX is basiaclly an all-in one SLi card (2 x 7900 GTX's in effect I
think). Not sure how it compares with a single 7900GTX but it'll spank it
in SLi enabled games!

There are more details he -

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2769

BillL

Old June 9th 06, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Did you receive a 7900GTX "Extreme" or a 7950GX2. The latter is a dual-PCB
monster costing over $600.

The difference between the 7900GTX XXX and Extreme editions is just clock
speed - both are overclocked from nVidia's official specs, the XXX a bit
higher.

According to this article,
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...hlbnRodXNpYXN0
both cards may experience lockups because XFX's testing apparently doesn't
stress the cards hard enough, so the cards are released from the
manufacturer clocked higher than they should be.

. uk...

Old June 9th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hi BillL,

Cheers for that link - i think i'm gonna go ahead and open the little
beast up and give it a try. I had totally forgot about quad SLI and it
looks like it could be a possibility quite soon (need to sweeten the
wife up for some more cash ;o))

John.

Old June 10th 06, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hi,

I received a 7950GX2 Extreme but i already have a 7900GTX Extreme. I
just wondered whether i should send the 7950GX2 back and continue to
wait for the 7900gtx XXX or if the alternative card they sent me was
better so I should just keep it?

John.

Old June 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

From the review/benchmarks I saw, the 7950GTX looked like the highest end
card in existence. It's like two 7900GTX's in one, if I remember right?
To me the choice would be a very easy one!
In other words, mail me your 7950GTX Extreme now!

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE

Old June 11th 06, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
is playable.

Old June 11th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:07:16 GMT, John
wrote:

Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
is playable.

Another one with too much cash addicted to bleeding-edge video-card
acquisitions under the guise of computer-gaming ? More power to your
wallet; keeps me very happy indeed for reasons other than gaming.
Don't forget to pre-order the latest DX10 video hardware, including
the required power-supply upgrades and refrigeration units. Better
start sweetening up the wife right now.

BTW, if you are through with your 7900GTX Extreme, you are welcome to
mail it to me instead of putting it in your next garage-sale :-)

John Lewis