zalman CNPS9500 and Gigabyte GA-k8n Ultra-9 : Are they compatible??

Old April 29th 06, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default zalman CNPS9500 and Gigabyte GA-k8n Ultra-9 : Are they compatible??

Well, I decided to get the Zalman CNP9500 since in theory it is quiter
than the Gigabyte 3d Rocket I used on a previous system, but I'm
baffled how to install it on the GA-K8N Ultra-9. From what I can tell,
for AMD use, the Zalman CNP9500 uses two screws at the midpoint of two
edge of the socket. However, in that location, Gigabyte has a plastic
pin of sorts that holds the black plastic frame to the mobo. Do these
pins come out?

Old May 21st 06, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote:

Well, I decided to get the Zalman CNP9500 since in theory it is quiter
than the Gigabyte 3d Rocket I used on a previous system, but I'm
baffled how to install it on the GA-K8N Ultra-9. From what I can tell,
for AMD use, the Zalman CNP9500 uses two screws at the midpoint of two
edge of the socket. However, in that location, Gigabyte has a plastic
pin of sorts that holds the black plastic frame to the mobo. Do these
pins come out?

I have the GA-K8NNXP and I think I have the same or very similar plastic
frames and pins. Yes, these do come out. You have to be very careful not to
break them if you want to keep them. The movie on the Zalman website is
correct as far as it goes but not detailed enough.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=165&code=005

First, you need to remove the existing heatsink and fan to give yourself
room to work.

Now look at the frame, backplate and pins.

These images are for the GA-K8NNXP
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php...=1615&image=12
http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cpu/k8-2/k8nnxp3b.jpg
http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cpu/k8-2/k8nnxp4b.jpg
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/reviews/i...P/01010125.jpg
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/giga...xpgallery2.htm

The are for the GA-K8N Ultra-9
http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2005-12-26/0913802170.shtml
http://img.product.pchome.net/00/02/26/20/22620_3.jpg
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...?cid=6&id=1593

The frame and plastic pushpins look similar enough to me.

Each pushpin is in two parts. The outer part sits in a hole through the
frame. The inner part goes through outer part and secures the backplate. If
you look from the bottom of the motherboard you will see that the inner
part splits into two. Use pliers or similar to squeeze the two sides
together while carefully using a tiny flathead screwdriver or similar on
the top of the flange on the inner part to pry the inner part upward.

After you have pulled up the inner part, the outer part should slide out
with a bit of jiggling and/or the insertion of a pin or tiny screwdriver
into the space between the outer part and the hole in the frame. Just be
careful not to damage the frame.

The metal "nipples" supplied by Zalman should now sit in the holes in the
frame where the plastic pushpins were. They should just slide in but the
fit may be snug.

See http://www.overclockers.ru/images/la...08/19/k8-b.jpg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...nps9500_3.html

You then put two of the supplied screws through the holes in the backplate,
lined up underneath the holes in the motherboard, put the frame in the
right place back on top of the motherboard and from the back of the board,
screw the backplate into the nipples sitting in the holes in the frame. The
frame should now be ready for you to screw in the heatsink.

I hope this explanation is clear enough. It's the best I can do without a
digital camera and without disassembling my heatsink setup.

Old May 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote:

[...]

To reply by mail remove _