newbie amd64 question

Old April 26th 06, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default newbie amd64 question

Okay realize I am a total newbie to AMD CPUZ

Well I recently purchased amd64 3200+ 2.2ghz newcastle socket 754 cpu and
Asus K8N mobo
with 1 gig pc3200 ddr sdram
I am totally satisified (content for now ) with default clock speeds and
settings , but I am having a bit of trouble grasping the difference between
the Intel bus design versus the AMD64 bus all the multipliers and options in
the bios/motherboard seem to be a lil different then what i am accustom to
could someone please direct me to information or explain ( remember i am a
newbie to this ) the differnces between the Intel and AMD 64
I want to attempt to overclock someday as of now i am running everything in
Bios settings as default

Please help a newb out of a jam !

Old April 26th 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...n-3100-oc.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1497607

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old April 26th 06, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Jeff DeVore" wrote in message
et...
Okay realize I am a total newbie to AMD CPUZ

Well I recently purchased amd64 3200+ 2.2ghz newcastle socket 754 cpu and
Asus K8N mobo
with 1 gig pc3200 ddr sdram
I am totally satisified (content for now ) with default clock speeds and
settings , but I am having a bit of trouble grasping the difference
between
the Intel bus design versus the AMD64 bus all the multipliers and options
in
the bios/motherboard seem to be a lil different then what i am accustom to
could someone please direct me to information or explain ( remember i am a
newbie to this ) the differnces between the Intel and AMD 64
I want to attempt to overclock someday as of now i am running everything
in
Bios settings as default

Please help a newb out of a jam !

You cannot compare the two directly; AMD has an on-die memory controller,
while Intel still uses the Northbridge chip for FSB I/O to RAM. AMD uses
Hypertransport bus while Intel does not. Simply put, AMD is a more robust,
elegant solution for getting data in and out of the processor. Other
factors play in; on an Intel platform, the L1 data is repeated in the L2
cache, effectively reducing the size of the L2 cache(s) by the amount of L1
Data cache. In an AMD system, the L1 data cache and L2 caches are
exclusive, so more data moves through the L1/L2 gate per clock cycle.

Some AMD processors overclock better than others; the speed of your ram, the
design of the motherboard and the System BIOS also play big roles in
overclocking.

Bobby