Compaq Proliant DL580 sounding like a Boeing 747 at take-off

Old April 7th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Proliant DL580 sounding like a Boeing 747 at take-off

Is there a way to silence those fans? I tried taking some of them out, but
it won't if a fan is missing.

It's a first-gen DL580 (4-way 700Mhz Xeons)

I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind of
noise here...

--

(\_ _/)

Old April 7th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Per El Bandito:
I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind of
noise here...

Maybe something's wrong with the fan. Recently, somehow... I had a wire just
touching the fan blades. *Really* noisy.

OTOH, it might be a bearing on the way out. The fans I've dealt with in my own
PCs haven't been all that expensive or hard to replace.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 7th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I'm pretty sure it's not related to the fans, but with the airflow they
create. (it's a really loud whooshing sound, kinda a vacuum cleaner)

They are running fullspeed when I boot (no OS on it yet). If I try to block
or remove even one of them, it won't boot.

I can't really afford to have it make that noise (I will try on Saturday,
*during the day* to install either Win2K or 2K3 on it and see if once
everything is installed they will slow down somehow)

I'm wondering if once the OS is installed, it might slow the fans down when
spin them up only as needed. (a driver maybe?)

Otherwise, it seems like a really nice piece of hardware.

--

(\_ _/)

Per El Bandito:

Old April 8th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

You mean they're gonna run full tilt like a jet taking off, even if they
*don't* need to?

Guess it's going back on eBay

--

(\_ _/)