Upgrade Hard Drive on Armada 1750?

Old March 26th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Upgrade Hard Drive on Armada 1750?

Hi,

Someone in this group gave me some good instruction on upgrading the Armada
1750 that someone had given me. I upgraded the memory and now have 192 mb.
That was easy, but I'm not confident enough in getting the right hard drive,
say from eBay, or elsewhere because I'm not familiar with laptops at all. I
need a hard drive that will fit, of course, and there seems to be more than
just the HD? Like I see cover for hd, or enclosure. So if I want to
upgrade the hard drive---I don't know exactly what size ( physical) drive
and I also have to get a cover of some sort?
Any advice or opinion is most appreciated. I'm trying not to spend too
much money on this as I don't have it----and I plan to use it for fairly
simple chores and email/ internet tasks.

Thanks,
Al

Old March 28th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:23:22 GMT, "Alan Johnston"
wrote:

Hi,

Someone in this group gave me some good instruction on upgrading the Armada
1750 that someone had given me. I upgraded the memory and now have 192 mb.
That was easy, but I'm not confident enough in getting the right hard drive,
say from eBay, or elsewhere because I'm not familiar with laptops at all. I
need a hard drive that will fit, of course, and there seems to be more than
just the HD? Like I see cover for hd, or enclosure. So if I want to
upgrade the hard drive---I don't know exactly what size ( physical) drive
and I also have to get a cover of some sort?
Any advice or opinion is most appreciated. I'm trying not to spend too
much money on this as I don't have it----and I plan to use it for fairly
simple chores and email/ internet tasks.

Thanks,
Al

If it has the same arrangement as my Armada E500, the hard drive is
mounted inside a small cage (caddy, enclosure; I don't know the
official term), which in turn plugs into a connector inside the
computer. You slide the cage out of the computer, then remove several
small screws to take the cage off of the hard drive. You then mount
the cage onto the new hard drive, and slide it back into the computer.
As far as I know, the cage is model-specific, but the hard drive
itself is a standard laptop hard drive. The main factor to watch out
for is that laptop hard drives apparently come in several heights, and
you want to make sure that you get a new drive that will be the same
height as the old drive. I suggest removing the old drive temporarily
from its outer cage, and measuring its height with a ruler. Don't
open the drive itself, just take the mounting cage off of it.

If you have files to transfer from the old drive to the new drive, I
would suggest buying one of the external cases that lets you convert a
standard drive to an external USB drive, and initially mounting the
new drive inside that case. If you are using Linux or Windows XP, the
computer should automatically recognize the new drive once you hook it
up to a USB port. Format the new drive, copy the contents of the old
drive to the new drive, then shut everything down, mount the new drive
inside your laptop, and bring the system back up again.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from