84.25 ' nVidia official ' BETA driver now released (March 22)

Old March 23rd 06, 07:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 84.25 ' nVidia official ' BETA driver now released (March 22)

Go to the BETA section of the nVidia web-site.

The release notes just say "General Compatibility Fixes" from 84.21,
but are not specific. This is the quick driver refresh that supposed
to have some tweaks for Oblivion. I have not noticed any obvious
changes in Oblivion from 84.21, but I run only a single video card.
Maybe any improvements apply to SLI ?
Win XP/2000 32-bit only.

John Lewis
Old March 24th 06, 03:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Użytkownik "John Lewis" napisał w wiadomości
Go to the BETA section of the nVidia web-site.

The release notes just say "General Compatibility Fixes" from 84.21,
but are not specific. This is the quick driver refresh that supposed
to have some tweaks for Oblivion. I have not noticed any obvious
changes in Oblivion from 84.21, but I run only a single video card.
Maybe any improvements apply to SLI ?
Win XP/2000 32-bit only.

John Lewis

I, on the other hadn, noticed quite big improvement in framerate - with
those drivers I ahve about 15-20fps more than on my old, 77.xx drivers.
Don't know if it's the sheer difference between 77 and 84 or it's actual
boost provided by this new 84 drivers specifically Anyway, I'm much more
happy gamer now

Old March 24th 06, 06:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 04:00:38 +0100, "Mandella"
wrote:

Użytkownik "John Lewis" napisał w wiadomości
Go to the BETA section of the nVidia web-site.

The release notes just say "General Compatibility Fixes" from 84.21,
but are not specific. This is the quick driver refresh that supposed
to have some tweaks for Oblivion. I have not noticed any obvious
changes in Oblivion from 84.21, but I run only a single video card.
Maybe any improvements apply to SLI ?
Win XP/2000 32-bit only.

John Lewis

I, on the other hadn, noticed quite big improvement in framerate - with
those drivers I ahve about 15-20fps more than on my old, 77.xx drivers.
Don't know if it's the sheer difference between 77 and 84 or it's actual
boost provided by this new 84 drivers specifically Anyway, I'm much more
happy gamer now

Great !! Yes, the 84.xx series is a great improvement, except for
those that continually moan that buggy software like Paint Shop Pro 9
or 10 won't run with the 84.xx drivers and dual-core processors. I
have PSP8 with no such problems. Probably Corel screwed the PSP
code up after they acquired JASC.

However my post was really intended to find out whether anybody saw
any difference in Oblivion between 84.21WHQL (that came out less than
a week ago) and 84.25 BETA. It is very unusual for nVidia to post a
BETA on their website only a few days after an official release, and
also probably not a coincidence that the posting was just one day
after Oblivion hit the shelves.

John Lewis

Old March 24th 06, 02:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John Lewis" schreef in bericht
wrote:

[...]

Hi John,

How is Oblivion in your opinion?
I've always played the Elder Scroll games with mixed feelings.
Graphics are good, environment was always really nice to walth through, but
in the end very repeatitive and somewhat buggy.
Haven't invested much time in Morrowind though.

Is a 6800GT good enough to play Oblivion?

regards,
Marcel

Old March 24th 06, 06:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

[...]

Truly a great game. The open-play in combo with the excellent AI
is a winner. No scripted sequences, except those related to the Main
Quest. Start up from a saved game and your experience is likely to be
very different.

I've always played the Elder Scroll games with mixed feelings.
Graphics are good, environment was always really nice to walth through, but
in the end very repeatitive and somewhat buggy.

No doubt bugs will be found, but the game seems very stable indeed
and the area-load hiccups in Morrowind have disappeared. With the
release of the Construction Set, its associated Wiki and the
tutorials, Bethesda seems dedicated to helping the mod community
and updating the core game as necessary.

Haven't invested much time in Morrowind though.

Is a 6800GT good enough to play Oblivion?

I have a 7800GTX, so I don't really know, but I have observed others
in this newsgroup with 6800GTs seemingly very happy. The available
graphics settings are truly comprehensive, so you should be able to
find a suitable combination. Definitely a combo that will result in
graphics far superior to what you currently see in Morrowind.

John Lewis

regards,
Marcel

Old March 24th 06, 06:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Marcel Overweel wrote:
How is Oblivion in your opinion?
I've always played the Elder Scroll games with mixed feelings.
Graphics are good, environment was always really nice to walth through, but
in the end very repeatitive and somewhat buggy.
Haven't invested much time in Morrowind though.

I think Oblivion has a lot going on with it over Morrowind but it's
still a "playground" type game. There's a main plot, but it's not what
makes the game special. What makes it special is that there's a billion
things you can do in the world to do your own thing. If you are the
kind of gamer that needs to be led along a relatively linear path to
find enjoyment, you won't like Oblivion any more than Morrowind or
Daggerfall. You have to find your own fun, so to speak.

Also about the buggy, I think it's too early to say but I am pretty
sure there's going to be bugs, this game is freakin' huge, I'm sure
they made some mistakes.

Is a 6800GT good enough to play Oblivion?

Looks beautiful on my 6800GS. I haven't messed with the graphics
options, just took whatever it assigned me.

I have a P4 3.2ghz and 1gb RAM.

Knight37 -- http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Old March 24th 06, 08:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Knight37" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Overweel wrote:

Is a 6800GT good enough to play Oblivion?

Looks beautiful on my 6800GS. I haven't messed with the graphics
options, just took whatever it assigned me.

I have a P4 3.2ghz and 1gb RAM.

Looks and plays great on a T-Bird XP2800+ with a X800XT PE and 1.5GB of
PC3200. Though I haven't been into any towns yet - too many forests and
caves to explore along the way....

Ref bugs - as Knight says - personally I haven't found any yet but bound to
come across one or two.

Old March 24th 06, 08:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Shawk" wrote in message

"Knight37" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Overweel wrote:

Is a 6800GT good enough to play Oblivion?

Looks beautiful on my 6800GS. I haven't messed with the graphics
options, just took whatever it assigned me.

I have a P4 3.2ghz and 1gb RAM.

Looks and plays great on a T-Bird XP2800+ with a X800XT PE and 1.5GB of
PC3200. Though I haven't been into any towns yet - too many forests and
caves to explore along the way....

Ref bugs - as Knight says - personally I haven't found any yet but bound
to come across one or two.

Whoops - should have said that the game picked 'high' as my setting and i
haven't tweaked anything yet.

Old March 24th 06, 10:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

[...]

Naw man, 9 is a JASC product and X is Corel. But where JASC *would* have
fixed it, as it's a showstopper, Corel passes the buck. And technically
they're right. PSP X was out well before the 80 series drivers. Hm.
There is one trick I didn't try. Setting core affinity while in crashing
state.
I'm waiting for the 64 bit version. Am using 83.91 64 bit beta right now.

However my post was really intended to find out whether anybody saw
any difference in Oblivion between 84.21WHQL (that came out less than
a week ago) and 84.25 BETA. It is very unusual for nVidia to post a
BETA on their website only a few days after an official release, and
also probably not a coincidence that the posting was just one day
after Oblivion hit the shelves.

John Lewis

McG.

Old March 24th 06, 10:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

[...]

I have a 6600GT (with 256MB) and it works fine. The game suggested
640x480 resolution but I pumped it to 1024x768 and turned on bloom
effects (didn't turn on the antialiasing though) and it plays really
well. I'm not a sucker for FPS though so what I consider 'fine'
someone else could consider slow, but I'm having a blast as it is.