Newbie confused by new 6800GS Card

Old March 22nd 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Newbie confused by new 6800GS Card

Hi All,
I have decided to upgrade from my Athlon 1.4 to an Athlon64 3200+ machine.

It comes as standard with a cheapo nVidia 6200TC graphics card so I
bought myself a Palit 6800GS card.

Now this comes with a power cable (PCI Express supplementary power
cable?) - 2x 4 pin (molex) to 1x 6 pin on the card.

There is no mention of this power cable anywhere in the instruction
guide that came with the card (just says plug it into your card slot and
install the drivers)

This is the first card I've got that has had one of these power cables.
Can you tell me, do I need to use this cable?
If so, do I need to plug 2 molex power connectors into it or will one do?
Motherboard is a Foxconn Winfast NF4K8AC-RS

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old March 22nd 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Yes you do need to plug it in. I would ordinarily suggest using power
from 2 different spurs if there are 2 sockets, but be cautious. Suggest
checking the manufacturer's website first for a proper user / install
document to be sure.

That or hopefully someone on here will know for sure themselves.

6600GTs and 6800 series cards generally come with power connectors as
the cards suck a lot of juice.

Make sure your PSU has plenty of current.

Rgds,

Neil.

In message , Jeff
writes

--
Neil J Bundy
Old March 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Neil J Bundy wrote:
Yes you do need to plug it in. I would ordinarily suggest using power
from 2 different spurs if there are 2 sockets, but be cautious. Suggest
checking the manufacturer's website first for a proper user / install
document to be sure.

That or hopefully someone on here will know for sure themselves.

6600GTs and 6800 series cards generally come with power connectors as
the cards suck a lot of juice.

Make sure your PSU has plenty of current.

Rgds,

Neil.

Thanks for the reply Neil.
I've now managed to find some previous discussions on Usenet an it seems
that this card does need the supplementary power cable.
I think I will upgrade the 350W PSU with a 450W one (have seen one that
has a six-pin power connector for graphics cards)

Cheers,

Jeff