tft screen: vsync on / off or application controlled?

Old March 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default tft screen: vsync on / off or application controlled?

Force it on for normal (gaming) use. Force it off for benchmarking.

"Cole Turner" wrote in message
geforce 7800 gtx @ 1600x1200 on a 20" samsung tft

which of these setting is recommended?

thanks!

cheers, Cole
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

Old March 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Cole Turner wrote:

thanks, wasn't certain if TFT screens require a different approach
than CRTs ...

cheers, Cole

Yes, they do require a different approach. With Vsync off on an LCD
screen you will get real bad tearing in 3D games. You will get it on a
CRT too but it's not nearly as noticeable as on an LCD screen. I can't
sand an LCD screen with Vsync off. Downside is that I never see frame
rates above 60 because refresh rate is set to 60 but 60 is fast enough
for fluid motion.
Old March 23rd 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"fleet" wrote in message
Cole Turner wrote:

thanks, wasn't certain if TFT screens require a different approach
than CRTs ...

cheers, Cole

Yes, they do require a different approach. With Vsync off on an LCD
screen you will get real bad tearing in 3D games. You will get it on a
CRT too but it's not nearly as noticeable as on an LCD screen. I can't
sand an LCD screen with Vsync off. Downside is that I never see frame
rates above 60 because refresh rate is set to 60 but 60 is fast enough
for fluid motion.

Do LCDs have fixed refresh rates? It seems to me you could increase your
frame rate with vsync by increasing your refresh rate.

Old March 23rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Yes, though some allow a selection among 50, 60, and 75 Hz. While vsync
should be off when benchmarking, there's no reason to exceed 60 fps in
normal use. Games like Doom3 even have a 60-fps cap by default, to limit
network traffic in multiplayer games.

Old March 23rd 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

DRS wrote:

Do LCDs have fixed refresh rates? It seems to me you could increase your
frame rate with vsync by increasing your refresh rate.

Max refresh rate is 75hz on an LCD. XP default is 60hz so that is why I
use 60hz for every resolution, less hassle. I won't notice the dif
between 60fps and 75fps. If it was between 30fps and 60fps I can tell
the difference. As the other person said, Doom3 is set to run at 60fps.
3DFX always said we need 60fps to achieve fluid motion. Anything above
60fps is for benchmarking purposes, IMO. I've heard some people say that
in shooters they get less mouse lag at 75hz on an LCD so I will have to
test out 75hz and see if I can see/feel a difference in mouse lag.