VooDoo 3D cards

Old March 17th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default VooDoo 3D cards

Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

(AGP) :-(

Old March 17th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article , GearHead says...
Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

They were only PCI anyway. It wasn't a case of only being intended to
improve PCI, AGP didn't exist.

Most onboard 3D solutions can beat a Voodoo 3D.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 17th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

They were meant to add 3D capabilities to an existing 2D card with no such
capabilities. The Voodoo 1 and 2 at least. Voodoo 3 onward were complete
primary 3D cards. Today there's only one reason hy one might want to add a
Voodoo 2 (or 2 in SLI) to a system: To get native Gilde API support for old
game titles that require it. Yet there are Glide wrappers out that play
Glide games just fine.

Old March 17th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Conor wrote:
In article , GearHead says...
Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

They were only PCI anyway. It wasn't a case of only being intended to
improve PCI, AGP didn't exist.

Most onboard 3D solutions can beat a Voodoo 3D.

Except for V3's, 4, 5...

The first AGP was the Voodoo Banshee, it combined 2d/3d, whereas
previously you needed to link your existing 2d card with the PCI Voodoo
addin via a clunky VGA passthrough cable.

The Voodoo 3 and Banshee were loosely related, the Banshee for example
was almost the same card but with 1 TMU.
Old March 18th 06, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:46:13 -0800, "GearHead" wrote:

Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

(AGP) :-(

I take it you are referring to the Voodoo 1, or Voodoo 2
cards. They are PCI, and add 3D capabilities to videocards that had no
3D chip, or did. However, unless you play games that support the Glide
API, then the ATI X850XL will perform leaps, and bounds better. Also,
the last official drivers where Win9x/ME only. There are modded
drivers for Win2k/XP, but they are for Glide, or OpenGL only. Not sure
how stable they are as they are all 3rd party supported.
There are some Glide wra`ppers out there that may work with
the games you want to play, and on your card, but I never found one
for my 6600GT to play Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Red Baron 3D
with.

Old March 18th 06, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

The Voodoo 3 and Banshee were loosely related, the Banshee for example
was almost the same card but with 1 TMU.

I thought the Banshee was more related to the Voodoo 2, except
for the 2D capability (they where also in PCI as well as AGP), and the
single TMU.
Old March 18th 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I've used two glide wrappers for RB3D and a 6800 with no problems.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/
http://www.glidos.net/baron.html

Dirk

Old March 19th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

The Voodoo2 card had three separate chips (one pixelFX and two texelFX aka
TMU) manufactured on an old process. The Voodoo3 integrated everything onto
a single 0.25-um die, allowing twice the clock speed. The memory interface
was also doubled to 128-bits. Architecturally the Voodoo2, Banshee and
Voodoo3 were all the same.

BTW, the Voodoo2 has 2D capability. It can be used in a multi-monitor
configuration, using v1.00 beta drivers under Win2K. Well-known limitations
of 16-bit color and 1024x768 maximum resolution still apply.