Windows autoupdating a driver - why?

Old March 17th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Windows autoupdating a driver - why?

Yesterday I had a need to re-install the drivers for my graphics card
(Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420), which I did following downloading of the
relevant drivers from nvidia.com. No problems.

However, when I booted up this morning, Windows update beeped at me and
told me it wanted to install the following graphics drivers:

"Microsoft Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"
"nVidia driver version 52.16" (No date shown.)

If I go to the relevant place in my Device Manager, I find:

NVIDIA GeForce MX420
Device provider: NVIDIA
Driver date: 10/12/2005
Driver version: 8.1.9.8
Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers? I don't believe
that MS have a newer driver that the one I'm now running, but it's hard
to be sure when the driver numbers don't match.

Thanks
David
Old March 17th 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:11:45 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?

Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
of your machine.
Old March 17th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?

Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
of your machine.

Yes, thank you, curiously enough I was aware of that. I *am* in
control of my PC because I have the auto-update functionality set to
warn me when it wants to update something, rather than just to go ahead
and do it. That's exactly why I'm aware what it was trying to change,
and was able to prevent it from happening.

David

Old March 17th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Uncle Bill Knows Best of course.

As a general rule, do not accept driver updates from Microsoft unless there
is a compelling reason to do so.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old March 17th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

??? Reason????

Autoupdate to "52.xx" reads as:
"Fifty-Two(dot).Something".

Yours: "8.xx.xx" reads as:
"EIGHT(dot)something(dot)something".

The updater reads the version number.

Higher is newer for AutoUpdater.

Microsoft and nVidia should get together and aggree on the coding scheme!

My take: The internal version should be "XX.xx".

Old March 17th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Andrew schrieb:

So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?

Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
of your machine.

Better leave it on but change setting to "do not search for hardware
drivers"...

Benjamin