Will Intel catch up to AMD this year?

Old March 8th 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Will Intel catch up to AMD this year?

They claim they will surpass AMD with new cpu's this year - more
powerful CPU's with less power consumption. Do you think this is true
or will AMD continue to stay ahead? Is Dell still using only Intel
CPU's?

Old March 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Judging from their track record,I doubt Intel will ever catch up,they've
gotten fat and lazy,and lack AMD's drive and innovation.As for Dell,if they
want to sell any of those overpriced,overhyped XPS systems,they'd better
make the switch to AMD soon.Me,I'll go with a custom system from a real
builder with real support anytime.
oups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

The stuff I heard about AMD in the late 90's might still come back to
haunt them. I know they had issues getting into ceartain manufacturing
settings. Issues with excel and other stuff of the like. If AMD has
shaped up and not had anymore parity errors of the olden days then YES
They could forseeable start ripping into intel badly.

Remeber RDRAM (Rimms) and jumping on the pentium pro arcitechure too
soon? Intel has the problem with "were right because we're the biggest
and not because it the best" With that attitude it's not a matter of IF
but WHEN they start hurting.(they are not hurting as of yet)

They are sucking as far as taking care of employees as well as rampant
political BS getting in the way of engineering and making this stuff
work.

Old March 8th 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Do you think this is true or will AMD continue to stay ahead?

I have no actual idea, but AMD and Intel are starting to remind me of Shick
and Gillette. AMD is rumored to be coming out with a 4 core CPU chip
soon. Next thing you know Intel will come out with a hyperthreaded 4 core
system that has a little battery that makes it vibrate to "energize the
electrons" :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old March 9th 06, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Isaac W." wrote in message
oups.com...
The stuff I heard about AMD in the late 90's might still come back to
haunt them. I know they had issues getting into ceartain manufacturing
settings. Issues with excel and other stuff of the like. If AMD has
shaped up and not had anymore parity errors of the olden days then YES
They could forseeable start ripping into intel badly.

Remeber RDRAM (Rimms) and jumping on the pentium pro arcitechure too
soon? Intel has the problem with "were right because we're the biggest
and not because it the best" With that attitude it's not a matter of IF
but WHEN they start hurting.(they are not hurting as of yet)

They are sucking as far as taking care of employees as well as rampant
political BS getting in the way of engineering and making this stuff
work.

None of what you bring up has any bearing. AMD has FAB36 up and running,
and it is state of the art. It is superior to any of the fabs that Intel
has. RDRAM failed because of marketing. Intel is fat and lazy, and will
ultimately take the easy route, and I predict that they never will catch up
completely.

Intel hangs on to the Northbridge FSB, does not make true dual core, refuses
to move the memory controller on-die, etc. Intel hung on to hyperthreading
far too long...it was never supported. Intel just does not have a clue.
Until June of 2005, their whitepaper was still claiming no one wanted 64 bit
processors.

Bobby

Old March 9th 06, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Whether intel catches up and surpasses or not I'm sticking with AMD.

PS Dell , HP, Compaq and any other quack ripoffs suck. Alienware and Falcon
Northwest is the way to go if you want to buy a computer.

--
XP2600@171
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

oups.com...

Old March 10th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
"Isaac W." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I heard something about this up and coming company called Transmeta making
some neato low-power mobile chip... sounds exciting!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training