GeForce FX5500 killed my computer?

Old March 8th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default GeForce FX5500 killed my computer?

I have a Shuttle SB51G which has been running a Radeon 9200 (128 MB) fine.
Wanted
to upgrade the video card. Bought an eVGA GeForce FX5500 (256 MB). Plugged
it in. Pushed the switch--nothing. Machine was dead. Nothing. Took out
the new, put back the old video card, fired right up. Checked it again,
made sure card seated, etc. Tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead
computer. Tried the card in another machine. Works fine. What gives?
Could this be a power supply issue? I have read on this newsgroup about
folks using this exact card in this exact machine. Frustrated.

Just increased RAM from 520MB to 2GB at the same time--could this be part of
the problem? New RAM seems
to be working fine.

If I can not use this card in this machine, anyone have any suggestions for
an upgrade on the Radeon that WILL work?

Thanks in advance.

Old March 8th 06, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

PJL wrote:
[...]

The 5500 shouldn't be using _THAT_ much power. I've successfully run a
5600 and 5700 in a very old P2-300 system with only a 220w PSU (peaks at
180 nominal voltage). I'm suspecting something to do with your
motherboard's AGP voltage or it not being exactly compatible with the
card timings.

Old March 9th 06, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message
Perhaps you've blown the fuse in the Power Supply?

Re-read the OP. He says he put back the old card and his system fired up
fine.

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA? Dan_Musicant Storage (alternative) 79 February 28th 06 08:23 AM
Installation problems w/ GeForce FX5500 Petenjess Nvidia Videocards 4 April 13th 05 12:14 AM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 09:42 AM
Old DELL computer with a Geforce 256 fitted jeffc Nvidia Videocards 0 November 10th 03 04:23 PM
2 Geforce cards on one computer. Problems. Carlos Bermudez Nvidia Videocards 5 October 22nd 03 07:47 AM