LE and GT

Old February 27th 06, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default LE and GT

I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
is AGP.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Old February 27th 06, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Eddie G wrote:
I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
is AGP.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

LE's are cut down bottom of the bin parts, and usually are crappy
overclockers or use substandard components (i.e. cheap brand generic DDR
instead of low latency DDR3). Most of the LE cores did not successfully
meet the bin requirements for a normal or higher end GPU of it's type
(6600GT, 6600, less pipelines, etc) or could not run at certain clock
speeds.

The 256MB on the card makes NO DIFFERENCE at all, especially since the
lower clock speeds and memory more than take any advantage from it away.

The 6600GT is currently considered the best "entry-level" card of the
GF6 series since it gives you greater than Radeon 9800 Pro performance
levels and is a very good DX9 card. Whereas lower end models don't even
tend to excel beyond last generation cards (a 6200 tends to be no better
than a FX5700 most of the time).

For ES4:Oblivion, you will require a fairly strong CPU to process all
the geometry and send it to the card as well as negotiate bus traffic.
The 1.7 will likely underperform here.

The 6600LE will likely meet the core requirements for the game, but will
be far more sluggish than a full 6600GT with 128/256MB GDDR3. The GF6
is actually very fast and efficient with DX9 shaders, however the slower
6600LE core and lack of bandwidth will choke your card.
Old February 27th 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"deimos" wrote in message
Eddie G wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb GT
with agp which is why I went with the LE.

Old February 28th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Eddie G" wrote in message
I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb
GT with agp which is why I went with the LE.

What? Eddie, this is not something you should have shared with us. It's
making you look very uninformed. The 6600LE is nothing more than a
defective 6600 chip that Nvidia chopped down into a 6200. Then they (card
makers) tacked on 256MB of memory to sucker in the unsuspecting.

DaveL

Old February 28th 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"DaveL" Top Poster Extraordinaire wrote in message
"Eddie G" wrote in message
I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb
GT with agp which is why I went with the LE.

What? Eddie, this is not something you should have shared with us. It's
making you look very uninformed. The 6600LE is nothing more than a
defective 6600 chip that Nvidia chopped down into a 6200. Then they (card
makers) tacked on 256MB of memory to sucker in the unsuspecting.

DaveL

I am, or was, uninformed. I did a search on "6600 agp 256mg" and found the
6600LE for $100, so I bought it. I really don't want to spend a lot of
money right now if I don't have to.

Old February 28th 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and clock
up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds. I don't
know if it will work.

DaveL

news

Old February 28th 06, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"DaveL" Top Poster Extraordinaire wrote in message
You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and
clock up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds.
I don't know if it will work.

DaveL

That won't hurt anything, will it?

Old February 28th 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Eddie G" wrote in message
. ..

"DaveL" Top Poster Extraordinaire wrote in message
You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and
clock up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds.
I don't know if it will work.

DaveL

That won't hurt anything, will it?

No go ahead and crank it upppp!!!!!

Old February 28th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I got a 6600GT for $150 shipped - that was 2 weeks ago. The 256MB isn't
going to do anything for you. Forget about the video RAM and get a GT
with 128MB. You'll never look back....

Old March 1st 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:02:39 -0600, deimos
wrote:

Eddie G wrote:
[...]

I hope the OP won't mind me butting into this thread, but you seem to
know what your talking about.
I have an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit nvidia 2 mainboard and an ASUS FX
5900 card.
My questions are -
Would that be enought to adequately drive a 6600GT?
Would I notice much difference in performance over the 5900?
Would a 6800 GT be over the top for this processor/board?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your opinion.