Can't pair memory on GA-8PE667

Old February 27th 06, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default Can't pair memory on GA-8PE667

This board works OK with 1 256 Mb PNY DDR400 or 1 Kingston 512 Mb
DDR333.
However, if I fit either of these types in pairs, XP won't boot.
Each of the 4 sticks works OK on its own.
At boot the memory speed is reported as 333 MHz.
The CPU is 3.06 GHz 533 MHz FSB with hyperthreading enabled in the
bios.
Any suggestions please? Do I have to change a bios setting?
DM

Old February 28th 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"dormouse" dormouse@.. wrote in message
This board works OK with 1 256 Mb PNY DDR400 or 1 Kingston 512 Mb
DDR333.
However, if I fit either of these types in pairs, XP won't boot.
Each of the 4 sticks works OK on its own.
At boot the memory speed is reported as 333 MHz.
The CPU is 3.06 GHz 533 MHz FSB with hyperthreading enabled in the
bios.
Any suggestions please? Do I have to change a bios setting?
DM

Just a wild guess; check that the BIOS option 'Top Performance' is
disabled.

Another thing you could try is to 'Load Optimised Defaults' in the BIOS to
reset all the settings.
Just take down notes of what all the settings are currently, before loading
defaults, just in case something stops working.
One of the common settings needing adjustment after loading defaults is to
disable on-board AC-97 audio if you have a PCI sound card installed.

Also, on most Gigabyte boards, there are extra, hidden advanced options in
the BIOS that are accessed by pressing "Ctrl+F1" at the Main BIOS Menu
screen.

Cheers,

John S.

Old March 1st 06, 11:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:45:50 GMT, "Muttley" wrote:

"dormouse" dormouse@.. wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi John
Your wild guess was spot-on, "Top Performance" was set to "enabled",
and disabling it did the trick - but I don't understand why! Thanks.
The handbook doesn't explain exactly what this setting does, it just
says to have it enabled to maximise the performance of your system. It
also implies that you need it enabled if you want to overclock (which
I don't).
Thanks also for the info about advanced options, didn't know that
either.
DM

Old August 14th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Unicorn

Hi "dormouse" dormouse@..

It's a bit too late but still, I'm just curies. I run the same mo/bo
at the moment, with Pentium 4 - 2.4 MHz . When I tried to
upgrade the CPU to Pentium 4 - 3.0 MHz - the mo/bo did not
respond. I took that as a limitation of mo/bo to say 2.8 MHz....???
But if I understand well, you're saying that you run:

The CPU is 3.06 GHz 533 MHz FSB with hyperthreading

So, it'd appear that this mo/bo is capable to run Pentium 4 - 3.0MHz
or even higher?
I'd appreciate if you could respond to this question.

Thanks -
Jdr

"dormouse" dormouse@.. wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:45:50 GMT, "Muttley" wrote:

"dormouse" dormouse@.. wrote in message
. ..
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA? Dan_Musicant Storage (alternative) 79 February 28th 06 08:23 AM
Which atrributes are critical when matching PCxx00 DDR memory? Patrick Coghlan Asus Motherboards 2 February 1st 06 08:26 PM
6800 freezes up, but 6600GT doesnt. (Long post, and maybe TMI) One of Many Nvidia Videocards 16 April 3rd 05 02:19 PM
Increase RAM Nik Asus Motherboards 9 September 27th 04 04:11 PM
I think my FX5200 is damaged...........any way to verify? Dunny Rummy Nvidia Videocards 4 October 28th 03 04:50 PM