Disabling IDE device on GA-K8NXP-9

Old February 26th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default Disabling IDE device on GA-K8NXP-9

I want to know what options in bios i would disable to get rid of all IDE
devices from the bios and within Windows. Basically i am planning to move to
SATA optical drives such as the Plextor 712SA/716SA drives.

I am thinking about having the 712SA as a read only/DVD-ROM drive and the
716SA as my burner. I am hoping to connect them to the Sil3114 controller
and set them to BASE/ATA mode.

But i'd then like to disable all bios options in relation to the IDE drives
and nForce4 Ultra chipset. I know i can disable "On-Chip IDE Channel0" and
"On-Chip IDE Channel1" in bios.

But what about "IDE DMA transfer access"? and "IDE Prefetch Mode"?...do i
disable those?

Any help or advice is appreciated or if someone has setup SATA optical
drives on the Sil3114.

Old February 26th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Richard Dower,
How strange, "YOU" asking for advice rather than giving it....

I've got the Plextor 712SA on the GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 board. I found the SATA
DVDRW would only connect to the SATA Host Controller directly off the Intel
Hance Rapids Southbridge chip (Ultra DMA Mode 2). The Plextor 712SA does not
work with the Silicon Image 3114 controller on my motherboard.

The Plextor 712SA is a ATAPI drive with a SATA-ATAPI bridge adapter on the
back. The 716SA looks to be the same sort of drive.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet you could get the Plextor drives to work
with the SATA Host Controller off the nVidia nForce4 Ultra chip. The
motherboard compatibility list on the Plextor website doesn't list the
GA-K8NXP-9 directly. But the list also doesn't show that the 712SA will work
on the GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 board, and it has with mine for about two years.

The Silicon Image 3114 SATA Host Controller chips are picky when it comes to
connecting anything but SATA hard drives. ATAPI drives with a SATA bridge
adapter having the Silicon Image 3611 SATALink chip should work. I've tried
this configuration and was still unable to make the ATAPI drive to work
properly connected to the Silicon Image 3114 SATA Host Controller. I also
tried a Acard SATA bridge adapter having Marvell chip but still got no joy.

You might have better luck.

Jeff French

Old February 27th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Richard Dower wrote:
I want to know what options in bios i would disable to get rid of all IDE
devices from the bios and within Windows. Basically i am planning to move to
SATA optical drives such as the Plextor 712SA/716SA drives.

I am thinking about having the 712SA as a read only/DVD-ROM drive and the
716SA as my burner. I am hoping to connect them to the Sil3114 controller
and set them to BASE/ATA mode.

But i'd then like to disable all bios options in relation to the IDE drives
and nForce4 Ultra chipset. I know i can disable "On-Chip IDE Channel0" and
"On-Chip IDE Channel1" in bios.

But what about "IDE DMA transfer access"? and "IDE Prefetch Mode"?...do i
disable those?

Those set what modes/features the IDE channels will use when operating and
are rather moot if they're disabled and, so, not operating.