does the k8ns pro support dual channel for memory?

Old February 24th 06, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default does the k8ns pro support dual channel for memory?

I just read the specs and I don't see any mention of this, but I do see
this, which is vague:

"Integrated DDR memory controller
The AMD AthlonTM 64 processor improves the memory performance by
integrating a DDR memory controller into the processor. By running at
the processor's core frequency, an integrated memory controller greatly
increases bandwidth directly available to the processor at
significantly reduced latencies."

My previous motherboard is quite a bit older and had dual channel, so
I'm wondering if the Gigabyte has something better. I currently have
two 512 sticks of Kingston PC3200 "value ram" and I need to buy 1 gig
more. I'm having trouble finding Kingston (I live in Paris) so I'm
probably going to go with Corsair. I just want to make sure it'll be
ok.

-Michael

Old February 24th 06, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just read the specs and I don't see any mention of this, but I do see
this, which is vague:

"Integrated DDR memory controller
The AMD AthlonTM 64 processor improves the memory performance by
integrating a DDR memory controller into the processor. By running at
the processor's core frequency, an integrated memory controller greatly
increases bandwidth directly available to the processor at
significantly reduced latencies."

My previous motherboard is quite a bit older and had dual channel, so
I'm wondering if the Gigabyte has something better. I currently have
two 512 sticks of Kingston PC3200 "value ram" and I need to buy 1 gig
more. I'm having trouble finding Kingston (I live in Paris) so I'm
probably going to go with Corsair. I just want to make sure it'll be
ok.

The key point, is that the motherboard itself does not have anything!. On
the Athlon64 chips, the memory controller is part of the processor itself,
and not the motherboard. This is why (for instance), if you fit the early
Opteron chips to boards that support both versions of the processor, you
have to fit ECC memory, since the on-chip controller on these requires
such memory. Now the internal memory controller, is faster than the
motherboard versions. Just how good it is, varies according to the chip
version you select. Older versions, had to slow down a little, when the
bus loads increased (four DIMMs fitted), but newer versions have improved
noticeably here.
Yes, the internal controller, is better than older memory controllers, but
the gain is small.

Best Wishes

Old February 24th 06, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

If it's socket 939 you should see 4 memory slots and it will be dual
channel; if it's socket 754 it won't be.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\