MB & CPU Temperature

Old February 20th 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default MB & CPU Temperature

My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during film
conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get up to
90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing fresh
air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the power
supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
samll.

Are the temperatures ok ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old February 20th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Terere wrote:
My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during film
conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get up to
90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing fresh
air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the power
supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
samll.

Are the temperatures ok ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

No, change the proc cooler for better.
Old February 21st 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:41:11 -0200, Terere wrote:

My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius
during film conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that
this CPU can get up to 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case
has got a front fan pushing fresh air into the box and a lateral fan
pulling the air out. Also, there is the power supply back fan. The
lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is samll.

Are the temperatures ok ?

No. What CPU cooler do you have? Have you cleaned it lately? And XP's
didn't use the Thunderbird core either.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Thanks for all the suggestions. The cooler is the original I got with the box
processor. I will have a look at the cooler dirt and the like. I just wanted to be
sure the temp was a bit too high, so I can change the whole installation now.

Thanks a bunch.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Terere" wrote in message ...
My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during
film
conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get
up to
90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing
fresh
air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the
power
supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
samll.

Should'nt the Latteral fan blow cool air onto the CPU???

If it is pulling air out of the case, and as you said it is on top of the
cpu, then it would be fighting against the cpu coolig fan and this may cause
your cooling problem..

I have just built a computer for a friend and the case came with a side
(latteral) fan that sucked air in from the outside of the case and was
situated over the CPU, it accually has a shroud on it to guide the airflow
onto the cpu.

Old February 22nd 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:50:23 -0300, Terere wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. The cooler is the original I got with the box
processor.

That's a part of the problem. The boxed XP coolers sucked. Barely adequate
under ideal conditions. Replace it with this and you'll probably see at
least a 20C drop.

http://www.dealsonic.com/trdbythtr2m3.html

Old February 22nd 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Wes Newell" wrote

That's a part of the problem. The boxed XP coolers sucked. Barely adequate
under ideal conditions. Replace it with this and you'll probably see at
least a 20C drop.

http://www.dealsonic.com/trdbythtr2m3.html

Be sure to check that the bottom plate is screwed on tightly.

Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's system.
But the bottom plate was actually loose.

I hooked up the fan on it the other day and was surprised how quiet it is.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 23rd 06, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:28:34 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

"Ed Light" wrote

Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's system.
But the bottom plate was actually loose.

tr2-m3 I mean.

Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)

Old February 23rd 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Wes Newell" wrote
Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's
system.
But the bottom plate was actually loose.

tr2-m3 I mean.

Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)

What sort of temps do you get under load, and what core do you have?

Maybe it's good enough to just take the fan off and make an aluminum tape
duct to the case fan.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 24th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:28:32 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote
Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)

What sort of temps do you get under load, and what core do you have?

754 3000+ hammer. 47-48C. Still using the same old WB grease.:-)

Maybe it's good enough to just take the fan off and make an aluminum
tape duct to the case fan.

The fan doesn't make enough noise to matter, but the outside air would
help.