AMD Boxed CPU Thermal Paste

Old February 14th 06, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default AMD Boxed CPU Thermal Paste

Does anyone here know what kind of thermal paste AMD uses on the pad on
their latest heatsink/fans in the retail boxed CPUs?

I picked up a retail boxed Athlon 64 3000+ CPU with a Venice core.

The paste on the pad is silver and looks like it's either silver or
aluminum.

If it's already silver then I'll probably skip using Arctic Silver
thermal paste.

Chas.

Old February 14th 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Ed" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:09:28 -0800, "* * Chas"
wrote:

Does anyone here know what kind of thermal paste AMD uses on the pad on
their latest heatsink/fans in the retail boxed CPUs?

I picked up a retail boxed Athlon 64 3000+ CPU with a Venice core.

The paste on the pad is silver and looks like it's either silver or
aluminum.

If it's already silver then I'll probably skip using Arctic Silver
thermal paste.

Chas.

Not sure but fwiw I have a newcastle 3200+ and replaced the pad with
Artic Silver 3 and also tried the Artic Cremque?(spelling?) stuff, end
result... no difference at all in temps, the stock AMD64 pads work great
IMO.
Ed

Did you give them their 200 hours breakin?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 14th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:21:30 -0800, "Ed Light"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Does anyone here know what kind of thermal paste AMD uses on the pad on
their latest heatsink/fans in the retail boxed CPUs?

I picked up a retail boxed Athlon 64 3000+ CPU with a Venice core.

The paste on the pad is silver and looks like it's either silver or
aluminum.

If it's already silver then I'll probably skip using Arctic Silver
thermal paste.

Chas.

Not sure but fwiw I have a newcastle 3200+ and replaced the pad with
Artic Silver 3 and also tried the Artic Cremque?(spelling?) stuff, end
result... no difference at all in temps, the stock AMD64 pads work great
IMO.
Ed

Did you give them their 200 hours breakin?

Just for comparison, I have two Athlon 64 3000+s on two different
boards:

1. MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum using the AMD thermal pad

2. Asrock Dual SATAII 939 using Arctic Silver

The MSI consistently runs about 6-7C hotter under low load than the
Asrock. Both have had much more than the 200 hours break in. The
difference is less under high load, perhaps 2-3C.

The MSI case has two 80mm rear fans and one 80mm side fan -- it's a
Monarch branded server case, I believe from Thermaltake, with an
Enermax Whisper 420W PSU with one fan. The Asrock is in an Antec Super
Lanboy case with 120mm fans front and back with an Antec NeoPower 480
modular PSU, also with one fan.

For what it's worth...

Old February 14th 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

* * Chas wrote:
Does anyone here know what kind of thermal paste AMD uses on the pad on
their latest heatsink/fans in the retail boxed CPUs?

I picked up a retail boxed Athlon 64 3000+ CPU with a Venice core.

The paste on the pad is silver and looks like it's either silver or
aluminum.

If it's already silver then I'll probably skip using Arctic Silver
thermal paste.

Maximum PC, January 2006 issue, Page 70: "Thermal Paste Debate":

The conclusion: "It doesn't matter what kind of thermal compund you
use, as long as you use something".

Search of their web site does not pull up article.

Summary table: Idle Load (degrees C)

Arctic Silver 5 36 54

Arctic Ceramique 35 53 (best)

OCZ SIlver 8 36 53 (tie high load)

Frozen CPU Copper 37 58

Generic crap 40 54
from Radio Shack

FX-55 CPU, A8N-SLi mobo, Gigabyte Neon Coller heatsink/fan; recorded
with Asus A.I utility; idle measured after 30 minutes zero load; "load"
measured after running CPU burn in for one hour.

(No mention of 200 hour "curing" time....)

In my AMD 3000, I just used the stock heatsink/thermal pad....used to
scrape/clean/buff, etc, and use Artic Silver, but, always seemed the
temps I got were pretty average, and, I do not overclock...

HTH,

BC
Old February 14th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:09:28 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

Does anyone here know what kind of thermal paste AMD uses on the pad on
their latest heatsink/fans in the retail boxed CPUs?

I picked up a retail boxed Athlon 64 3000+ CPU with a Venice core.

The paste on the pad is silver and looks like it's either silver or
aluminum.

If it's already silver then I'll probably skip using Arctic Silver
thermal paste.

Save yourself time and money and just use what you have. I got so tired
of all the BS you see about thermal compounds I removed mine and
replaced it with 30 year old wheel bearing grease last Sept.1. Current
temps;

CPU Temp: +35°C
M/B Temp: +34°C

Reason the MB temp is so high is I've got 4 HDTV tuner cards in this box.
I highly recommend wheel bearing grease for it's ability to not dry out
over the years. Wonder how well AS left open in the garage for 30 years
would work.:-) To be honest I don't know how long ago the plastic tub the
grease was in deteriorated and cracked open. Maybe only 10-20 years ago.

Old February 14th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"J. Eric Durbin" wrote
The MSI case has two 80mm rear fans and one 80mm side fan -- it's a

Just for fun, you could try closing up the side fan hole and see if it
improves. Those can disturb the airflow from front to back.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 14th 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"BC" wrote

Maximum PC, January 2006 issue, Page 70: "Thermal Paste Debate":

The conclusion: "It doesn't matter what kind of thermal compund you use,
as long as you use something".

Possibly they didn't allow the 200 hrs. break-in time.

There are many reviews listed on the Arctic Silver site where Ceramique beat
Silver and Alumina by 1-2C, and in one review it beat Thermaltake generic by
7C, though that _was_ unusual.

I friend used Alumina and the temps dropped several degrees over time from
when he first fired it up.

Ceramique is only $4.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 14th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:09:28 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

skip
Save yourself time and money and just use what you have. I got so

tired
of all the BS you see about thermal compounds I removed mine and
replaced it with 30 year old wheel bearing grease last Sept.1. Current
temps;

CPU Temp: +35°C
M/B Temp: +34°C

Reason the MB temp is so high is I've got 4 HDTV tuner cards in this

box.
I highly recommend wheel bearing grease for it's ability to not dry

out
over the years. Wonder how well AS left open in the garage for 30

years
would work.:-) To be honest I don't know how long ago the plastic tub

the
grease was in deteriorated and cracked open. Maybe only 10-20 years

ago.

Maybe you're on to something!

Many types of grease have metallic based high pressure lubricating
compounds. White greases usually have lithium compounds which make them
water resistant. Other HP additives use Sulfur, Chlorine or Phosphorus
compounds.

We could get some of the little plastic condiment cups that they use in
fast food restaurants and repackage the WB Grease. We could sell the
stuff for $6-$7 a cup! ;-)

Chas.

Old February 15th 06, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:20:51 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

[...]

BEWARE. Grease not specifically intended for use with electronics
will have unknown electrical conductivity/capacitance, let alone
poorly-spec'd thermal conductivity. Be very careful not to smear it
anywhere near any electrical contacts or circuitry -- and double-check
that it does not ooze out and flow to undesired locations at
high-temperatures. Remember that in a wheel-bearing, the grease
is designed to flow sufficiently to lubricate all bearing surfaces
continuously.

John Lewis
Old February 15th 06, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention the fact that grese, when heated, gets thin and tends to seep
(or ooze...) out unless somehow contained.