64bit and games

Old February 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default 64bit and games

Hi!

Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?) What do
you people use?
Any advice?

Old February 7th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in
:

Hi!

Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?)
What do you people use?
Any advice?

I have XP Pro 64bit, and play a few games, and I would suggest you NOT
getting it. The drivers aren't as good, come out later, and for some
hardware, impossible to find. If you get a dual core, get the normal XP
Pro. Wait for the next Windoze (Vista?) to go 64 bit.

After saying all that, if the game he's going to play the most has a 64bit
version, and requires the 64bit OS, go for it. I've heard the 64bit
versions are better.

I haven't heard of any games that run easily on XP, having problems with
the 64bit versions, only driver problems.

/ David Simpson \
| |

http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson |
|We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.|
\_______________________________________________/
Old February 7th 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

You will need games that are written for a 64 Bit system. Here's AMD's
link:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._11054,00.html

Old February 13th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
Hi!

Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?) What

do
you people use?
Any advice?

Driver support for XP64 is lousy. sound,video,printers etc. It's all in the
early stages or non-existent. Stick with XP or W2K. AMD64 bit CPU's are just
fine running those OS'es and games.