8KNXP: How to Enable IDE 3 & 4?

Old February 1st 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default 8KNXP: How to Enable IDE 3 & 4?

I have 4 hard drives and at the moment 2 of them are plugged into a card in
a PCI slot. I now need that slot for something else, so I need to plug the
drives into IDE 3 and 4. According to the manual, I need to enable these in
the BIOS but I am not sure which setting it is. So if anyone can enlighten
me I would really appreciate it. Apologies if it's blatently obvious but I
have looked but just can't see it.

Cheers.

Si

--
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt
taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total

Old February 1st 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Si wrote:
I have 4 hard drives and at the moment 2 of them are plugged into a card in
a PCI slot. I now need that slot for something else, so I need to plug the
drives into IDE 3 and 4. According to the manual, I need to enable these in
the BIOS but I am not sure which setting it is. So if anyone can enlighten
me I would really appreciate it. Apologies if it's blatently obvious but I
have looked but just can't see it.

Cheers.

Si

You enable it in the "Integrated Peripherals" section of the BIOS.

Old February 2nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"Si" wrote in message
Which of the settings there is it? I think it's one of the RAID ones but
there's a few and I'm not sure which one it is.

Cheers.

Si

"sig666" wrote in message
ink.net...
Si wrote:
I have 4 hard drives and at the moment 2 of them are plugged into a card
in a PCI slot. I now need that slot for something else, so I need to
plug the drives into IDE 3 and 4. According to the manual, I need to
enable these in the BIOS but I am not sure which setting it is. So if
anyone can enlighten me I would really appreciate it. Apologies if it's
blatently obvious but I have looked but just can't see it.

Cheers.

Si

You enable it in the "Integrated Peripherals" section of the BIOS.

Hi, there should just be a simple option to enable IDE channels 3 and 4 (you
don't need to mess with the RAID settings). For my Giagabyte SLi board
channel 3 & 4 for the second IDE connector were enabled by default. Also you
may need to press ctrl+F1 at the main BIOS screen to enable adavanced
options.

I know its probably not a great explanation but hope it helps.

BillL

Old February 3rd 06, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Hey Bill,

I forgot about the ctrl+F1 thing but it didn't help. I wish there was a
simple option and there should be for idiots like me but, alas, there isn't.
I think it has something to do with the onboard RAID function but I just
don't know which of the many settings it is.

Cheers.

Si

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...

"Si" wrote in message
Which of the settings there is it? I think it's one of the RAID ones but
there's a few and I'm not sure which one it is.

Cheers.

Si

"sig666" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 3rd 06, 11:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Si,
Best advice:
Read your manuals!
In the motherboard manual, on page 26 setting up IDE3 & 4 requires using the
GigaRaid manual for details.

Then in the GigaRaid manual follow the instructions to set your drives to
NORMAL. On page 25 Column 'Assignment' in the View Drive Assignment is shown
'Free' this hard drive is regarded as a normal drive.

Yes, you must install the GigaRaid driver, then using the Raid utility, set
up your drives as normal.

Good Luck
Jeff

"Si" wrote in message
Hey Bill,

I forgot about the ctrl+F1 thing but it didn't help. I wish there was a
simple option and there should be for idiots like me but, alas, there
isn't. I think it has something to do with the onboard RAID function but I
just don't know which of the many settings it is.

Cheers.

Si

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...

"Si" wrote in message
Which of the settings there is it? I think it's one of the RAID ones but
there's a few and I'm not sure which one it is.

Cheers.

Si

"sig666" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 3rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"Si" wrote in message

I have 4 hard drives and at the moment 2 of them are plugged into a card
in a PCI slot. I now need that slot for something else, so I need to plug
the drives into IDE 3 and 4. According to the manual, I need to enable
these in the BIOS but I am not sure which setting it is. So if anyone can
enlighten me I would really appreciate it. Apologies if it's blatently
obvious but I have looked but just can't see it.

Cheers.

Si

--
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny
iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset
can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.Tihs is
bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod
as a wlohe.

Just buy 2 new SATA drives and plug them into one of the 4 available
connectors?

Old February 3rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

I've got no more room for any more hard drives but thanks for the
suggestion.

Si

"Slick the Original" wrote in
message ...

Old February 4th 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Si,
In the motherboard BIOS, in the Integrated Peripherals Menu, set the
GigaRAID Function to ATA and set the Onboard H/W GigaRAID to Enable.

Connect your hard drives using 80-pin connector cables, insure the hard
drives are properly strapped as Master and Slave drives.

Boot the PC.
The WinXP Found New Hardware Wizard should detect: RAID Controller. Install
the ITE GigaRaid IT8212F Driver (version 1.6.18 can be found on the Gigabyte
website). This driver should also be on your motherboard CD.

Boot the PC.
Confirm that the ITE IT8212 ATA RAID Controller device is shown below the
SCSI and Raid controllers item in the WinXP Device Manager. If this is good,
continue.

Boot PC
During boot-up you should now see the following message:
IT8212 BIOS test Version for Gigabyte F/W Ver 02093030 Copyright 2002 ITE,
Inc. All Rights Reserved
Please wait for IDE scan
Press Ctrl-G to enter Setup Utility or
Press Esc to continue booting....

While that message is being displayed during the boot-up process,
Press "Ctrl-G to enter the BIOS utility Main Menu

Press 1 to enter the AUTO Configuration window.

Under the Setup Array Type as option, use arrow keys and space bar to change
your option to 'NORMAL'.

Press "Ctrl-Y" to save your settings.

Press ESC to go back to the Main BIOS Menu.

Press ESC again to quit and boot.

If everything is connected properly, when you boot your PC, the new hard
drives connected to the IT8212 controller should now been seen in WinXP.
Right click 'My Computer', then left click on 'Manage'; this should take you
to the Computer Management window, now left click on Disk Management, all
your drives should appear in the right-hand area. From here you can access
the drives, format them, rename them, and change their drive letters by
simply right clicking on the hard drive and selecting the option required.

These instructions are all in your manuals but not necessarily in the
correct order. Gigabyte takes for granted that you know allot about how
computers work.

It isn't an easy process and I hear it (IT8212) doesn't work very well at
least the RAID function.

I have the GA-8KNXP-Ultra 64 motherboard which has a SCSI controller
embedded rather than the IT8212 controller, a much better solution for
multiple hard drives but SCSI hard drives are expensive.

I would suggest an additional PCI 4-port SATA card and 4 SATA hard drives.

Good Luck
Jeff