GA-K8NS memory problem

Old January 31st 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default GA-K8NS memory problem

Ok, first off, this is a socket 754 mobo and not the 939 one with the
same name. It has 3 dimm slots. Ive been running it with 2 DS 512 pc2700
sticks at 333 with no problem. I recently got a few sets of pc3200
sticks to upgrade to. They are corsair 2x512 matched pair and Patriot
2x512 matched pair. they are all double sided. Each stick will work fine
alone and will be detected as 400 mhz and will run perfectly, memtest
runs for hours with no errors. Now, if I install 2 sticks in any slot
combo it will only run at 333. I can go into bios and force 400 mhz but
this will cause memory errors like crazy. Ive got the settings right
because it runs 1 stick at 400 forced perfectly. So, in a nutshell, I
cant run a pair of DS dimms at pc3200 without errors and the memory is
fine. It all works perfectly in my other machine in dual channel mode
even, overclocked even. Im running the latest bios. I found one other
thread on this from 2004 but it was never resolved. Any ideas on this?
Other than ditch this board or get a single 1 gig stick.
Old February 1st 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

This is no help, but if you run some benchmarks, like pcmark or 3dmark, on a
single stick at 333 and 400 you'll probably find it doesn't make a monstrous
difference. Just a few percent. The fast memory access mostly compensates.

What cpu do you have? I think the older ones aren't as good at memory
compatibility as the new ones, since rev. e or something like that. Perhaps
an expert on that will comment.

Also you might check the manual, downloadable at Gigabyte, to see if maybe
that's the way the board is.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 2nd 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Ed Light wrote:
This is no help, but if you run some benchmarks, like pcmark or 3dmark, on a
single stick at 333 and 400 you'll probably find it doesn't make a monstrous
difference. Just a few percent. The fast memory access mostly compensates.

What cpu do you have? I think the older ones aren't as good at memory
compatibility as the new ones, since rev. e or something like that. Perhaps
an expert on that will comment.

Also you might check the manual, downloadable at Gigabyte, to see if maybe
that's the way the board is.

Actually the faq for this board on the website addresses this problem
but claims that it is fixed with a new bios. But that bios was 4 bioses
ago from the current one Im using. Im thinking of just switching to a
939 setup anyway to use the dual channel memory feature, that seems to
make a large benchmark difference.

RAM problem Alb Asus Motherboards 9 January 31st 06 12:48 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action General 127 January 20th 06 09:30 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action Dell Computers 121 December 12th 05 12:47 PM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 12:04 PM
The Technology of PS3 subsystem General 31 November 22nd 03 03:05 AM