GA-K8N Pro-SLi ..NForce4 Raid problems.. please help

Old January 22nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default GA-K8N Pro-SLi ..NForce4 Raid problems.. please help

I'm trying to get my new system up and running but I've come across a
stubborn problem with the NForce4 raid .I have 2 Maxtor SATA 120gig hd's
setup as my raid stripe, the computer sees it ok and boots into it after xp
is installed but after about 10 seconds i get a flash of a blue screen and
it reboots .I've updated to the latest Bios F7 and tried different class
mode (0104) on the SATA channel in the Bios as per the G/Byte FAQ page ,I'm
using a Q-Tec gold 550w PSU with a 3700+ San Diego cpu and 2 X 512mb Corsair
XMS pc3200 c2 (that i'm running at c3 to try and get it going!), I've
Memtest68+ the RAM which is ok. I have a single XFX 6800gt installed . When
i boot in safe mode it gets as far as C:/Windows/windows32/drivers/mup.sys
then reboots. This is driving me nuts so any help would be gratefully
accepted.

Old January 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Mup.sys is mapping for NICs, turn off your NICs and try again.
Possibly and old setting left in XP, turn on Hidden devices in Device
Manager and check for a minport driver without a matching network card.
If you find it the uninstall by using the lines below in a cmd/batch file:

PAUSE Don't forget to show hidden devices
Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
devmgmt.msc

Old January 22nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Thanks for the reply, yes i had the onboard nic disabled .I've just noticed
the display controller is sharing an IRQ with firewire, usb 1.1 and an ide
controller ,this can't be right surely, i'm going to disable the 1394 do you
rekon i should try and force the display controller onto another IRQ? what
would be causing this?

thanks again.

Old January 22nd 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Best to just uninstall all/most of those drivers and let the OS re-install
them on the next boot.
Make sure you get rid of any that are no longer relevant and or greyed out
using the cmds I gave you earlier.
In my case a NIC couldn't work because a non existent version was still
occupying the resources.

You can also do a Google on "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" to get full
step by step tutorials in how to go about all this.

Old March 4th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Hi Everyone,

I had a similar problem in which I thought was the raid chipset or the
hard drives. I wasn't able to install Windows, and it would freeze or
blue screen of death on me.

I used memtest86 from: http://www.memtest86.com/

I quickly found out that I had a bad memory stick.

I'm now in the middle of installing windows XP. I'll let you know how
it goes.

I hope this helps,
Topher

My Setup:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 4400+ (Toledo Core)
GA-K8N Pro-SLI
NVidia 7800 GT
Antech P180 Case
x2 Western Digital Caviar Sata II 250GB (Raid-1)
Asus DVD-E616A - 16x DVD Drive
Plextor PX-716A - 2 Layer DVD burner
It was 2GB of memory, but now 1GB. I'll return the other DIMM for an
exchange. Then I'll be back to 2GB.

Q re raid on GA-K8N-ultra9 - geforce4 old man Gigabyte Motherboards 3 December 23rd 05 01:14 AM
A7N8X series "incomplete RAID set" bug - my experiences and solution Andy C Asus Motherboards 0 July 19th 05 03:06 AM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Need help with SATA RAID 1 failure on A7N8X Delux Cameron Asus Motherboards 10 September 6th 04 11:50 PM
P4P800DLX from non-raid to raid Splitskull Asus Motherboards 2 June 2nd 04 10:51 AM